PDA

View Full Version here: : A lightweight 12" F5 travelscope

Satchmo
13-09-2007, 10:10 AM
As an example in lighter technology check out a photo of my 12" travel scope with a 1.1" thick primary.
I built this little scope in 4 days prior to the 2002 solar eclipse as I wanted a backpack scope to take on a bus to SA.

The top end ( minus focuser and finder ) nested into the mirror box which nested into the mount. The side bearing went into my backpack and the poles on the outside. I could easily carry the rest in one hand as it became a 'suitcase'.

There is no heavy steel mirror cell. The mirror is attached and floats on a 7" diameter ring of Velcro , on a lightweighted 1/2" ply triangular back plate. The poles are 16mm OD The rocker box and base weigh 3kg. As a party trick I can balance the complete scope on the palm of my hand :), yet I've never gone out to observe and found its lightness detrimental to my observing experience.

I enjoy its minimal thermal mass to a heavy traditional truss. It has often showed textbook airy discs within 30 minutes of setting up.I think there is always room for a little compromise in construction in following Kreiges Dobsonian book, if you are prepared to lose a bit of high wind resistance.

janoskiss
13-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Nice! I love it! Thanks for sharing. :)

niko
13-09-2007, 11:20 AM
a very elegant looking scope

having owned an 8" for just under a year I'm starting to get aperture envy!

niko

Orion
13-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Nice job Mark especially when you did it in 4 days.

h0ughy
13-09-2007, 08:28 PM
you built that in 4 days!!! Mate I am more than impressed, I am astounded, that is a wonderful looking scope!! Well done and thank you for showing us this, simply amazing

horst
14-09-2007, 01:13 PM
wow that's fantastic, so how much do you think the whole scope weighs ....Satchmo?

rmcpb
14-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Any chance of a photo of the 7" velcro ring set up, sound really interesting.

Thanx

Satchmo
14-09-2007, 04:33 PM
I had a new aluminium top end rolled a while back, with new 6mm X 12mm strengthening rings. The intention is to redo the truss in 18mm tube using the Moonlite ball/socket truss connectors, and make a new mirror as I sold the old one. It'll definately be my next project after the 14" binos though.

The velcro mount is not hard to imagine. The mirror mount plate is triangular 1/2" ply with push pull bolts at each corner which mount to inside of the rocker box. There is a 5" hole in the middle of the plate and maybe a dozen 1" square Velcro pads in a 7" diameter to mount the mirror on.

CoombellKid
14-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I like it : ) looks nice and portable

regards,CS

stringscope
16-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Mark,

Great scope :thumbsup:

Absolutely agree with your comments above ;)

Cheers,

rmcpb
16-09-2007, 07:06 PM
What did we ever do without velcro? I would work because the velcro fixings are flexible in themselves and would "move" with the mirror. Great thinking :)