PDA

View Full Version here: : home made tripod/gorillapod

joshman
23-08-2007, 09:17 PM
hey guys, i need some ideas for a super versatile camera mount, that i can take places!

ideally i would love to get a gorillapod, however, i really don't have the necessary monies to purchase such a device. so any ideas on how to create something similar, especially using rubber parts so that it won't slip on railings and the like and it has to be strong enough to hold around 1.5kg or so of camera equipment.

likewise, ideas or links to doing a home made tripod would be welcome, pretty much similar to above, cheap and versatile!

thanks!

radu5er
23-08-2007, 09:44 PM
G'day scone king

A few good ideas here. (http://www.homebuiltastronomy.com/)

By the way... is a 'scone' anything like a 'biscuit' in yankee parlance? :D

joshman
23-08-2007, 10:15 PM
that's a negatory....scones are like...well...scones, dunno how to describe them, i'm making a batch friday next week, i'll be sure to take photos!....predominantly an english thing i think (i'm not even english!), usually eaten with jam and cream, and accompanied by a hot cuppa tea.

cheers for the link!

iceman
24-08-2007, 06:19 AM
Those gorillapods look great, I've always wanted to buy one.

Topher
24-08-2007, 09:36 AM
I was just browsing the forums as a good novice should do and low and behold, I find the thing that I really need to sustain my interest in this wonderful hobby. I currently only have a rather heavy pair of ancient binos that dad gave me, that must be at least 40 years old. They are 20x50's and are really difficult to hold steady enough to see anything other than the moon, and only when it is high in the sky as I have to lie on the ground due to the weight. (If I was to hold the binos while standing and look at the stars, I am only good for a few minutes (my wife would call me a liar after that claim:D) or I would end up with the arms of Arnie with the body of Erkel, only fatter.):lol::rofl:;)

But thanks radu5er. :thumbsup: This link has led me to my next project. A modified version of the bino chair (less the chair). I will post my design for approval/comment later next week. I would also be grateful for any suggestions (be nice:D) for other designs to assist me in having a steady platform to view the heavens with my binos from any members of IIS.

Have a good and clear one!

erick
24-08-2007, 09:37 AM
They love their gorillapods:-

http://www.flickr.com/groups/gorillapod/pool/

erick
24-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Chris, check the projects and articles over here <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< at the left. There are a few designs for holding binos. Plenty more on the internet. Eric :thumbsup:

taminga16
24-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Josh, what about a a homemade bracket and some double sided velcro strap, (perhaps a second hand "L" grip)?

Regards Greg.

If the plate was as wide as the body and you placed some rubber between it and the camera it would provide grip and protection.

taminga16
24-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Josh, if you were to go this way be aware of the length of the bolt/ screw,
running it through the body would not be a good look.

Greg.

joshman
25-08-2007, 10:02 AM
actually, something i've seen on ebay is similar in design to a 'g' clamp (like the woodworking one) with a camera mount on the top, it'd need to be modified to be able to grip onto railings and whatnot, mount an off the shelf pistol grip ball head on the top....could be a nifty small form camera mount...

Topher
28-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks Eric. But I have to put this project on hold for a while as my personal and work lives just went into overdrive. Much appreciated though, and thanks again.

joshman
21-09-2007, 10:00 PM
shoot me for digging up an old topic, but i've partially solved my dilemma...

you know what they say, necessity breeds invention, and this weekend i'm planning to climb mt warning for the sunrise on sunday morning, and short of carryign a tripod the whole way up, i needed another solution.

Step 1, purchase a ball headed tripod mount, the one i got was fairly cheap (comparitively!) at $70

Step 2, purchase an IRWIN quickgrip clamp and appropriate 1/4" bolts/nuts/washers

Step 3, drill appropriate holes and assemble mountings.

i've attatched two photos.

surprisingly, this is pretty darn strong!

taminga16
25-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Josh, Great idea, really looks the goods.
Regards, Greg.

Ten heads are better than one, unless you had to walk around with them.

joshman
25-09-2007, 06:00 PM
yeah, i've improved on that idea again, i found that the camera still had movement in it from the twisting and deforming of the clamp, cue to teh weight of the equipment so i've used to two clampput a piece of wood across the top of them, then mounted the camera on the piece of wood, problem solved. it's now fantastically stable, once i get aroudn to sealing the wood from them elements, i'll post a pic.