PDA

View Full Version here: : Observatory lining/renovation Complete!

rogerg
05-08-2007, 07:10 PM
I have finally completed the lining of my observatory and general renovation.

There's only 3 things wrong with the picture in the attached image:
The telescope is pointing decidedly the wrong way with it's electronic guts in pieces (still).
The 22" widescreen LCD I ordered through work hasn't arrived yet.
No pictures up on the walls yet.Improvements made during the renovation:
Inside half has been insulated and lined, then painted.
New curtains made from thick fake fur that provide complete block-out, insulation and sound dampening & insulation.
New stereo system that has audio-in for my ZenW to connect to, and red screen.
New sound setup that allows splitting of audio from internal half to external half (can set volume of both halves independently).
New lighting in the enclosed half.
New desk arrangement allowing much better usage, lighting possibilities and access to computer.
Sealed enclosed half (around the bottom etc) to prevent bug invasions and general dust proofing of the enclosed half.I'm very happy with the changes, many thanks to family members who gave me various bits of the new stuff for my birthday.

The telescope has a brand new service kit in it as of yesterday, direct from Meade, brand spank'n new, and guess what - it's busted - some fault in the main board. :sad: This follows me receiving a brand new front panel from Meade which was also busted on arrival (some internal short that blows fuses). Oh well, happy with the rest of the observatory now.

Looking forward to the LCD - being able to have room on the screen for all the telescope controls (scope, camera, focuser, guider, etc etc etc) :D

Looking forward to some nice prints on the walls too, thinking I might put a 2m panoramic of the Milky Way on the back wall, that might look OK I think :)

The renovation started about 8 weeks ago. The telescope has been in various states of dead since 11th February.

:thumbsup:

Roger.

astro_nutt
05-08-2007, 07:20 PM
That is so cool!!....Very neat and comfy by the look of it too!...good one!

Lee
05-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Very nice Roger.... I am just underway building my obs - I wish I had the room for yours! Well done.... :D

rogerg
06-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Ahh, I look forward to seeing pics of your obs... or have I missed them in the last couple of months that I haven't been watching the forum so closely?

I originally built mine on my parents 10 acre property, so I didn't think anything of the size (1 - not my land ;), 2 - 10 acres). If I had of built it here on my 1/2 acre block where it now sits, I probably would've landed up with something smaller - 3m dome or something. But I'm not complaining, more 'shed space' :)

Lee
06-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Nothing missed yet.... Poured pier yesterday. Going to build a 2100x2400 roll-off roof around it in the coming weeks..... :D

CoombellKid
06-08-2007, 05:59 PM
The other thing I see missing in the pictures and the first list "Beer Fridge" : )

looks very nice!!!!

regards,CS

rogerg
06-08-2007, 06:12 PM
You're right! I had thought of that one ;) .. but haven't quite got it yet. :)

For me, who doesn't drink beer, it would be primarily for other food & liquid with some beer's for visitors, but either way, it is an eventual requirement.. :)

aerobrake
11-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Awesome!

How do you weather seal the roof/wall area with a sliding roof?

Cheers
Mike

rogerg
12-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Mike,

I'm not sure exactly where you mean.

Only the enclosed half is lined, so there is no lining which is exposed to weather as such, although I have used exterior paint because of the likely hood of condensation/dew forming.

The roof of the open half is sealed by things like the following:
- there's an overlap of about 1 foot of the 2 roofs.
- there's rubber between the roofs on the most external edge, to minimise the gap between roofs, so the rubber which is attached ot the top half, slightly touches the ridges of the bottom half. This minimises the chance of rain getting in.
- the sliding roof has tin coming down the side walls somewhat, to stop any rain coming in there.

Does that answer your question? :)

aerobrake
13-08-2007, 12:08 AM
HI Roger,

I'm about 7 months away from starting the build of my observatory, with a sliding roof.

I think you have answered my question. I wanted to know how you stop dust/weather coming into the observatory between the roof and walls. I assume since the two are not connected as such, since you need to be able to slide the roof, that there would be a gap between the walls and roof.

Cheer
Mike

Ps can you post a pic if where the roof/rollers meet the wall?

rogerg
13-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Ahh..

Yeap, in mine there is a gap between walls and roof. I think the "seal" could be improved but I haven't bothered (too hard basket). The air movement is in theory good for reducing condensation, although I still have huge problems with condensation.

Plenty of pics on my website...
http://www.rogergroom.com/rogergroom/esh_rog_gallery.jsp?Item=185

Happy to help with more explanation, but the pictures will probably answer it all. :)

Roger.

LX200
13-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Nice "BIG" Obs there Roger :thumbsup:

I used a 4"x 3/4" foam strip glued onto the roof frame (on the outside of the angle iron) which touches the wall
preventing dust coming in from the rolling frame east/west sides

On the south wall end I again used 4"x 3/4" foam strip glued on top of the wall scalloped to match the corrugated iron profile (what a bugger cutting that)
When closed the south gable slots into the south wall foam preventing wind getting in.

I have a right angle strip on the inside of the North gable flush with the wall.
When open the right angle slots into the south wall stopping all wind from coming in.
It used to swirl under the open roof like a sail and blast down onto the scope.
I've yet to get some bristle (same as the bristle around truck wheels)
for the rail opening slots to stop dust getting in there.
Will take some pics next w/e and post up

aerobrake
13-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Great pics, thanks for the link.

Cheers
Mike