PDA

View Full Version here: : DIY telescope pier on A.S.I.G.N.

bloodhound31
21-07-2007, 12:20 PM
G'day all,

I am just about finished Ron's (Tailwag) new pier for his refractor.

All the details are on the A.S.I.G.N Diy page. Check it out.

http://www.aussiepeople.com.au/asignobservatory/DIY.aspx

Cheers,

Baz.

Dennis
21-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Nice work Baz. Please don't tell me that you cut those 3 round steel plates by hand, using a good old fashioned hack saw! :scared:

Cheers

Dennis

DobDobDob
21-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Barry, it is looking amazing, I just can't believe the amount of detail you put into every project, this is far from being just a pole stuck in the ground. For starters we have a concrete slab already in position, so you are going to have to bolt it on to that, the concrete and the land are gently sloping (not level), so you have had to figure that into the method of balancing at the top. Then you work from a photograph of a mount that you saw once months ago and took little notice of because the pier wasn't thought of back then.

As far as I'm concerned you are a gifted craftsman and I know I did the right thing giving you all the metal work on the 'Old Telescope Restoration', I wouldn't trust it with anyone else but you ;)

I can't wait for the first night I swing the 6" refractor on top of your pier and look at Jupiter, without the pain and agony I used to go through when the scope is on the tripod.