PDA

View Full Version here: : Gift of a hobby killer

StargazerMan
04-11-2023, 02:31 PM
Starting around this time, I've been asked every year for the last 30+ years from at least one person what is the best scope to buy someone for Christmas/Holidays. Usually the budget is around $250 so I have a stock answer! 🙂
No.1 rule: Do not buy them a hobby killer!

I'm interested in hearing what others think of my take on it.
In short (the long is below) if they are new to astronomy I simply recommend binos and a book. I know, it sounds hella boring but I've seen so many times kids and adults getting gifted scopes that literally destroy any interest they had.

(YT vid)
Don't gift 'Hobby Killer' telescopes for Christmas! Do this instead...
https://youtu.be/Gvrb65AfJuk?si=NAyxm17GTLZJ5rUj

anthony2302749
05-11-2023, 02:22 PM
Many years ago I worked in one of the leading optical stores in Australian for 10 years. Every Christmas, stock would arrive with the obligatory cheap 70mm refactor on an equal cheap AZ2 mount, IMO a hobby killer.

I would refuse to sell these and would make a point to custom how useless these telescope are and the customer would be better leaving their money on the side of the road. Much like what happens to these hobby killers.

Sales pitch would be to selling the appropriate optical equipment for said age group. Generally, publications to help learn the night sky, binoculars, but sell them as general purposes, never know, they may get into bird watching. Telescopes that come equipped with a stable and easy to adjust mount E.g. AZ3 and Dobsonian. If a kid is involved the 70mm on an AZ3 was a good multi purpose telescope as it can be used for both land viewing and astronomy, bit of a win, win.

Try to steer first timers away from EQ Mounts but would always have those who what to do photography, so general sales pitch is to impress on them they need learn how to navigate the night sky before jumping into astrophotography. Most important if your goal is to photograph nebulae. I would sell them a telescope but would ensure they have the right publication and that they join an astronomical society and get in touch with the Astro photography section to learn the finder art.

Finally with all my costumer I would direct them to their local Astronomical Society, which is a good way for them to learn the art of astronomy.

Those hobby killers I mentioned, they were always the last stock in the storeroom at Christmas Eve.

That’s my take.

N1
08-11-2023, 08:52 AM
Son: I want to see the rings of Saturn
Dad: Here's a pair of 10x50s
:sadeyes:

I've been involved in outreach with kids for years. To them (and most adults really), astronomy means using an actual telescope. On the bright stuff initially, then possibly something a little more challenging. 10x power doesn't cut it on the vast majority of targets.

I had access to some excellent binoculars as a kid and looked at the stars through them from a young age, but it took a look at Jupiter through a proper telescope to really kick off my astro 'journey'. I came to fully appreciate binoculars for astronomy much later, and I keep this sequence in mind when making recommendations to (young) beginners.

Max Vondel
15-11-2023, 08:02 PM
Yes the 10x50 would be my suggestion too, with a cheap tripod from another relative or friend. Then a chair and some stars. Perhaps a small pocket atlas of the stars and planets.

JeniSkunk
21-11-2023, 10:15 PM
Can't see the YT video, it's set Private.
If the prices in that YT video are US ones, then they're more than a fair few years old. 8 inch Dobsonians are currently showing up for $600 USD to over $800 USD.
The cheapest GOOD telescope I know of, is the Sky Watcher Heritage P130, or its Saxon equivalent, about $400 AUD.

Shasta55
30-11-2023, 11:47 AM
I have had a good pair of 10x50's for years. I was never that satisfied stargazing with them and bought a 4 inch refractor a couple of years ago. I'll probably get something bigger - but not for a while. Recently took a trip to the NH & took my binos so I could view M31 & 33 a bit higher in the bortle 3 sky. TBH I was wishing I had my little refractor with me.