PDA

View Full Version here: : The Church - Under the Milky Way

OzEclipse
17-10-2023, 07:55 PM
The Church - Under the Milky Way
Boorowa, NSW AUSTRALIA.

I had to come into Canberra this week from Young. I delayed my departure until well after sunset last night so that I'd be passing this location at the time when the Milky Way was setting perched above the church. I have driven past the location many times and specifically scouted the place some weeks earlier in daylight.

I don't use Photopills for planning. I have a very simple system. Many years ago, I made a plot of times of twilight and when the Milky Way is 20 degrees above the horizon during rise and set for each day of the year. It doesn't change year to year except the dates of daylight savings switch. At my latitude, the Milky Way centre rises and sets 60 deg either side of due south. Simple, and I don't have to ruin my night vision staring at a smart phone screen. All latitudes have a similar symmetrical pair of azimuths of rise and set but they differ with latitude.

This location is very dark save regular passing traffic. I couldn't see any of the ground and could only see the white parts of the church exterior. In fact, it is so dark that although I've driven past this church many times, I drove straight past it and had to backtrack a few kilometres. My own fault for not using the GPS.

The landscape and church in the primary image is lit entirely by starlight lifted in Lightroom and Photoshop. The second image illustrates what happens when a truck comes along during the exposure 🤣.

Nightscape EXIF (both images)
Pentax K1 / Samyang 14mm f2.8
20s f2.8 ISO 6400

Daylight reference image
Pentax K1 / Samyang 14mm f2.8
1/180s f9.5 ISO 100

John W
17-10-2023, 08:09 PM
Nice views Joe.

MortonH
17-10-2023, 08:50 PM
Looks like a great spot, and great images to match.

Ryderscope
19-10-2023, 08:05 AM
Nice work Joe. Looks like a ghostly apparition in the foreground :face:

Leo.G
28-10-2023, 01:43 PM
Stunning images!
I don't remember getting the telescope or camera out much when I lived in Young for 4 years. I spent most of my time studying for various courses I did at Young TAFE but I do know the skies were pristine after moving from Sydney.
Oh, I had a toddler as well.

OzEclipse
30-10-2023, 10:05 AM
Hi Leo,
Thanks for your and others kind responses.

Young itself now has a bit of light pollution. My property is 30km outside Young. Not in a town. No artificial light visible- just glorious dark skies. I can see the faint glow from Young on the horizon also Cowra and the mine at Galong. But these are all small blips on the horizon. Also slight glow from Sydney 250km to the east. Visible in photos more than naked eye. I just passed three years living here although my former employer coaxed me out of retirement with lots of money for the past 12 months. Back to full time retirement now.

Joe

ChrisV
03-11-2023, 05:25 PM
"lower the curtain down on Memphis" if I've quoted correctly
Lovely shot!

AstroViking
07-11-2023, 12:48 PM
Love it! Such an atmospheric shot.

Leo.G
08-11-2023, 01:13 PM
I lived there from mid 97 and there were certainly less shops and no doubt less light pollution. I was on the north side of town.
A friend runs a technology shop there and keeps asking me to come down but health and other things keep me from much travel. I believe the town even has it's own McDonald's now?
I must get back there to see my friend one day!