PDA

View Full Version here: : Our location within the Milky Way Galaxy

Startrek
21-01-2023, 09:54 PM
I’m currently reading Carl Sagan’s book “Cosmos” and in one of the chapters he mentioned briefly how lucky we are as astronomers to be positioned where we are in the Milky Way Galaxy.
If our solar system was located towards to core region of the Milky Way it would be virtually impossible to observe or image the night sky as it would be akin to looking up at a gigantic globular cluster covering the whole sky at night.
The Sun would set in the west as it does now but the difference between day and night would be only marginal. The illumination from the immense Star fields at night would be almost as bright as late afternoon or early morning during the day.
An interesting thought from an iconic astronomer and cosmologist
I have to admit I often grumble about light pollution, satellite trails , aircraft trails and other annoyances but at least we have a distinct night and day which allows us to enjoy Astronomy.

LonelySpoon
22-01-2023, 08:40 AM
I really enjoyed "Nightfall" be Isaac Asimov in which an alignment of the planets in a globular cluster solar system meant that night only fell once every few thousand years.

Neville
LSO

leon
22-01-2023, 09:49 AM
Seems like a very interesting read Martin, might have to find a copy, if that is possible.

Leon:thumbsup:

julianh72
22-01-2023, 12:29 PM
"Nightfall" was originally a short story from 1941 - you can download a pdf copy here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://sites.uni.edu/morgans/astro/course/nightfall.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiEg_rfgdr8AhXBwjgGHbruAT EQFnoECD0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1UNjSsleMmTUk2t_VxXQpx

Asimov later expanded it into a longer novel, collaborating with Robert Silverberg. You may be able to borrow it as a free ebook from your local library.

pmrid
22-01-2023, 03:21 PM
… and drove everyone nuts. Maybe we should be more careful what we wish for🤣

Startrek
22-01-2023, 05:58 PM
I better stop grumbling about light pollution and satellite trails , and thank my lucky stars , pardon the pun