PDA

View Full Version here: : Setup Help Wanted. (Desperately)

Mekon
10-07-2022, 03:29 PM
Hi,
My controller handset has gone flaky (And no longer available in Australia) and I was told that if I plugged my hardware into a computer, I could run the thing from there.
I downloaded all the software I was advised to and bought the cables as well and now have hit a brick wall where the You Tube videos don't look like what my screen looks like.
I don't do astro photography as such, I try to do astro outreach to kids, and really need to get this thing working this week now that school holidays are over.

I am happy to pay for the help (as it will necessarily be on site) or donate to a charity, whatever is fine with you. My observatory is in Closeburn, just north of Samford, Brisbane.

I have a Windows PC with the following software loaded
Cartes de Ciel
EQMod -ASCOM PAD
PHD Guiding 2
Sharp Cap 4
Stellarium
Astrophotography APT
All Sky Plate Solver
ASCOM
Platesolver2

The astro equipment is
910mm refractor
AZ-EQ6 GT Mount
Orion Guide Scope
IMAGINGSOURCE Camera
Cables to connect to the USB ports on the PC and the mount port

Can you help?

The_bluester
10-07-2022, 03:49 PM
Can you put up screenshots of what you are seeing? That will hopefully help get you set up and we might be able to do it remotely.

If you are doing outreach with that gear, are you doing EAA type observations? If so, getting Stellarium to open a connection to EQMOD to get the mount going is likely to be the basic step to get sorted out.

Mekon
10-07-2022, 04:08 PM
https://youtu.be/cNagM-Y7mMg?t=379
I get to this point and my gear isn't in the choose box.

What I want to do is have my mount point at an object and have the camera compare what it sees with what it should see and adjust accordingly.

Startrek
10-07-2022, 04:11 PM
Attached are both options of how to get your Skywatcher mount connected via EQMOD and Stellarium controlled from your Laptop ( No handcontroller)

If your Skywatcher mount is older than 2018 then it probably only has the RJ45 handcontroller port ( use EQ Direct cable method ) EQ Direct cable required from Laptop to mount ( plus a USB2 extension cable if not long enough) Their are many Brands of EQ Direct cables but I use the Shoestring brand ( Bintel have them )

If your Skywatcher mount is 2019 or newer it probably has both RJ45 handcontroller port and a optional USB2B port ( use USB2 direct method ) USB2A to USB2B cable required up to 5m in length from laptop to mount

Make sure you download latest version of Ascom 6.6 and the Microsoft.net Framework 3.5.1

Cartes Du Ceil is ok but I prefer Stellarium as it gives you a true 3D visual perspective of the night sky and I feel more comfortable using it

Hope the above is what you require

Cheers
Martin

Mekon
10-07-2022, 04:14 PM
Thanks I will try that

Startrek
10-07-2022, 06:39 PM
Paul,
Make sure when you download EQMOD you go to get Sourceforge site and download the latest version of EQASCOM ( not ASCOMPAD )

Cheers
Martin

The_bluester
10-07-2022, 06:57 PM
That is the camera chooser in the bit of the video you linked to, It does not look like there are ASCOM drivers for the imaging source cameras, which you would need to use it in APT to plate solve.

I assume the imaging source cam is the main camera you plan to use? That might be troublesome unless you can get a driver to use in in APT, at least for plate solve and sync purposes to get the scope well aimed.

In the interim you should be able to get a connection to the mount through Stellarium, which would allow you to slew through stellarium to a known star near your target then manually center it with the EQMOD slow motion controls, reselect the star in Stellarium and sync the mount, and you should be very close using Stellarium to slew to your target.

Startrek
10-07-2022, 07:15 PM
The method I provided ( EQMOD/ Stellarium) is for sync based Goto and alignment ( not plate solving ) Plate solving is a more complicated procedure to set up in APT but I suppose once it’s done it works well.
I use APT but as a standalone frame focus and capture software and my EQMOD / Stellarium sync based Goto and alignment ( after 2 sync points or stars ) puts me smack dab in the centre of the APT live view reticle with any object. The more you sync the more accurate your Goto becomes ( I find 2 or 3 sync’s is adequate for accurate Goto )
Setting up APT for plate solving is far more time consuming than I was prepared to do . Sync based works fine for me. I can centre a mag 9 Galaxy from the home position in a few minutes. The more you use it the more skilful and timely you become
Each to their own
Cheers
Martin