PDA

View Full Version here: : Mono camera vs Colour camera for broadband

SB
04-06-2022, 08:15 AM
Hi All,
I have a ASI183 mono and ASI183 colour camera. I started this hobby with the 183MC, but it did not give me what i wanted for narrowband. I then moved on to a mono camera with a 1.25” five position filter wheel with Antlia narrowband filters.

In terms of shooting broadband, I would like opinion on whether it is worth me investing (nearly $1000) in an 8 position wheel containing new Antlia LRGB filters plus existing SHO filters with the mono camera? Would I really get the extra benefit above just switching to the colour camera?

Many thanks

SB

xelasnave
04-06-2022, 09:36 AM
The benefit is available if you extract it which ever way you go...the thing is you must try it so that you don't find yourself on your death bed wondering how life would have gone if you had bought the 8 position filter wheel.

Why talk yourself out of buying astro gear on the basis that you don't really need it?

Alex

SB
04-06-2022, 09:47 AM
Hi Alex,
… a very philosophical reply indeed.

Incidentally I was thinking of visiting you at Tabulum on the way home last August when we were staying at Evans Head. Then the lockdown!

SB

The_bluester
04-06-2022, 10:50 AM
I have both a ASI2600 MC and MM, The difference between RGB and OSC is visible but it is not huge. Though for appropriate targets you can add luminance and IMO that is discernibly better than a "Synthetic" lum generated by desaturating OSC data, or even by a combined integration of RGB from a mono cam.

Is it worth it? Hard to say, but I would love to replace my 2600MC with a second MM.

AdamJL
04-06-2022, 01:44 PM
^ same. I’ve thought replacing my 2600MC with a 2600MM after I purchased a QHY268M.
Only reason I haven’t is because OSCs are great travel cameras.