PDA

View Full Version here: : New setup

Peter.M
08-04-2022, 01:24 PM
Hi people,

I have been absent from the astro imaging world for a while now, but recently decided I would make an investment into some larger gear to chase down some closer fields.

I ended up with a GSO 12" f4 truss scope from Paul Haese, and with the help from Bintel, I have it mounted on a CEM120 on a tripier 360.

Guiding with my lodestar and OAG I am really happy with the stability of the setup. Forgive the gradients, imaging luminance from my house is not the best idea, but I just wanted to shoot something to tune out tilt. Currently I am using an old MPCC MK2 and I am not 100% happy with its correction, so I have a GPU coming along with some adaptors to thread it to the focuser.

Should be a good setup when its all together.

multiweb
08-04-2022, 01:45 PM
That looks awesome. :eyepop: Guidng is pretty tight as well. Much fun to be had when the rain stops. :lol:

Peter.M
08-04-2022, 01:46 PM
No rain to be had over here in Adelaide. I even got to use my new gear in the same week I got it.

Something definitely went wrong.

The guide graph is with a rough and dirty drift alignment, and is 5s exposures, graph totals 20 mins (each dither is 5 mins).

Itteredumer
17-05-2022, 11:01 PM
Hi guys,CEM120 vs EQ8 which one is better on pier?

Peter.M
19-05-2022, 11:56 AM
By virtue of only having one of them, I couldn't really tell you. So far the CEM seems pretty good, holds my 12 inch pretty happily, and my only real gripe is that the software control is a bit clunky.

Being that I don't really need to control it too much (SGP takes over after alignment) its no big deal.

The_bluester
19-05-2022, 08:52 PM
The CEM mounts seem to like the PHD2 PPEC algo for RA, give that a try and you might find it performing even better guide wise. If using that the other advice is to fix PHD2 to the natural worm period (240 secs for a CEM120?)

Paul Haese
21-05-2022, 11:29 AM
Good to see you have the rig working Pete. I look forward to your results and thoughts on the mount in years to come.