PDA

View Full Version here: : The cheap dodgy eyepiece case

tjquoll
29-04-2007, 02:38 PM
I saw this $4 wooden box in the Reject shop yesterday and thought it could be quickly adapted to a simple eyepiece case. I still need to partition off the collimator section, add a few layers of varnish and glue foam to the sides and lid but I thought I'd post a few photos to show what could be done.

By the way, the box is constructed from fairly light wood so don't expect it to offer too much protection. It isn't a big problem for me at the moment as I'm upgrading from a dew soaked shoebox :lol:.

Orion
29-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Nothing dodgy about that, Nice work!

seeker372011
29-04-2007, 08:02 PM
luv it!

xelasnave
29-04-2007, 10:43 PM
$4 what a buy...and it looks great...imagine if an EP suppier presented EP's and offerred such a box.. have to sway a sale or two. Great work.
alex

jjjnettie
29-04-2007, 11:33 PM
That's so very neat! I want one.

Omaroo
30-04-2007, 10:04 AM
:rofl::D :lol: :) :thumbsup: :P :evil:

Luv it!

rmcpb
30-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Add a couple of resistors and it is heated to help prevent dew on your eyepieces.

Brilliant find :)

acropolite
30-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Good find, looks very practical. If you have the room some silica gel sachets would be a good idea to keep moisture at bay. I finished some similar boxes with a light coat of stain then rubbed them with a beeswax rather than the usual polyurethane, looks great and smells even better.

rmcpb
30-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Phil,

You didn't use the beeswax on the inside did you. If so, doesn't it vapourise a bit and get onto the lenses?

Cheers

tjquoll
01-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Interesting point. What would you recommend on the inside?

John

tjquoll
01-05-2007, 07:02 PM
My local Reject Shop has quite a few different size boxes in the same style as this one. I'm sure stores in other locations would also stock them. For the eyepiece mount I used a scrap bit of plywood. A 32mm spade bit seems to be just the right size for drilling the holes,

John

rmcpb
01-05-2007, 07:17 PM
I would think that lining the case with felt would do the trick. That is how microscope occular lenses are stored and is a good idea except that we take our cases outside into the dirt and dust.

Maybe sealed with varnish then left open for a few days to allow the fumes to escape would be better for us.

tjquoll
26-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Went with the red felt lining.

acropolite
26-05-2007, 05:36 PM
The boxes I did weren't used for anything astronomy related, I thought the same myself, the fumes from polyurethane might cause problems as well.

Nice red lining BTW...:thumbsup:

KG8
27-05-2007, 05:21 PM
That looks very professional! Like a factory made eyepiece box.

erick
12-08-2007, 10:41 AM
A bit more upmarket - I notice Bunnings are now selling a metal toolcase for about $24-25. It's the size of a medium size eyepiece case. It looks like the innards are easily removed and can be replaced with foam.

Jackson42South
12-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Here is my (Also dodgy) eyepiece case, which was a metal Beauty products case that my wife found for me at a local supermarket - cost around $10.

Used 2 layers of packing foam in the box. Cut the holes with a razor blade (the single sided type).
Inserted a piece of foam into the lid to protect the eyepieces during transit.
I have added the clock and a Red LED to be able to see the eyepieces in the dark. Two small batteries to power the LED are located behind the lid foam.

Have since added another Eyepiece to the box.

http://home.exetel.com.au/jackson/42south/Projects/Case/Box.htm

Jackson42South
12-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Here is another alternative; I recently purchased a small metal case from Jaycar, which could be used as an eyepiece case. These normally cost $39.95, but I got one as a monthly special for $29.95.

These have a foam lined lid and the inside has cubed semi-cutout foam that can easily be moulded into shapes to suite your eyepieces and accessories.

The eyepieces will have to lay on their sides, similar to some commercial eyepiece cases, as it is not deep enough for them to stand up.

These are more expensive, but as the foam only takes minutes to mould into shape to suite, it is a good alternative for the 'Not-so-handyman'
This is also a good alternative for anyone looking for something a little larger or something a bit up-market.

I have not used my case yet, but will when I outgrow my existing eyepiece case, especially when I get hold of a couple of those 2'' babies.;)

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HB6355&CATID=&keywords=tool+case&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

knicholas
01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for that tip, the Jaycar case looks spot on.
Cheers,
Keith :thumbsup:

ballaratdragons
01-09-2007, 09:53 PM
WOW! You have turned a $4 bargain into a classy $50 EP case!!! Well done :thumbsup:

Fox
02-09-2007, 12:52 PM
G'day Erick, that's exactly what I did a few weeks ago, I got that thing from Bunnings, gutted it and cut my own foam. An excellent metal case for $24.95 Fox!