PDA

View Full Version here: : Adapters to achieve back focal distance between camera lens and zwo 1600mm + EFW

HeavyT
08-03-2022, 08:46 PM
Hi folks

In a world of pain trying to try out my 1600mm pro with a Nikon lens.
I picked up the ZWO Nikon adapter
I picked up an old Nikon lens with manual aperture adjustment ring
I've brought the spacing in as close as I can using a little adapter ring inserted in to the ZWO adapter and a male to male m42 adapter between that and the filter wheel.

It got me close, but I still needed to stop down to about f/11 before I could focus on infinity.

My last thing to try is a $60 m54 female to m42 male adapter if I can get one, but it would take out 2mm of back focus at maximum.

Is this a losing battle? Has anyone been able to make this work?

What's left of my hair is falling out.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

HeavyT
09-03-2022, 02:08 PM
Despite having been confident I'd purchased the correct adapter I discovered this morning I had not.

JA
09-03-2022, 02:31 PM
Hi HT,

If you have an old manual Nikon lens most likely it's a Nikon F mount lens which has a 46.5mm flange focal distance. (if it's a cine or enlarger lens then the FFD is not 46.5mm)

Taking it as an F mount lens (the most probable) and given you have a 1600mm (backfocus = 6.5mm) and the 11 mm ZWO supplied black spacer, then you need a further spacer with thickness equal to.....

46.5 - (6.5 +11) = 29mm

29mm is the thickness of the ZWO to Nikon F mount adapter I have - the filter drawer type.
See... https://www.bintel.com.au/product/zwo-filter-drawer-nikon/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7o3124-49gIVTCUrCh2vvQftEAQYAiABEgJpAvD_Bw E

There is also a ZWO to Nikon F mount adapter - screw in filter type with the same 29mm thickness. It also has an extra 5mm spacer which you don't use with the 1600mm.See...https://www.bintel.com.au/product/zwo-nikon-t2-ii-adapter/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgcmcp5C49gIVYZhm Ah2AfwZmEAQYASABEgIq6fD_BwE

There is also a much thinner Nikon lens adaptor to use between a Nikon Lens and ZWO filter wheel. Without the filter wheel the spacing would be incorrect. Perhaps that's the type you have tried to use and couldn't get focus.

Best
JA

muletopia
11-03-2022, 09:28 PM
G'day HT.
Just figure out what thickness you need and its attachment method and get Joshua Bunn to make you one.
Chris