PDA

View Full Version here: : Mini PC for imaging

Todo43
18-02-2022, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone

I am looking to make a semi-permanent pier in the backyard because I truly hate the hassle of polar aligning every time I image with no view of the pole.

I have got a plan for what I use to make the pier (Bessa blocks stacked on top of each other with a solid base), but I'm trying to work out how I should control all my gear. I normally use my laptop to control it all and then I use the chrome remote desktop software to connect to the computer from inside. The issue I have with that is that I use the laptop for school and often homework so will often need it for that each night. So I've decided that I am going to need a Mini PC to keep outside on all my gear. My question is which one? There are so many to choose from and I have no experience in this sort of thing.

I know that as it is just used to image, I don't need a high spec'd PC and that I don't need heaps of space (another question on that later). I would prefer to connect to it via wifi rather than ethernet cable. Also, I don't know any brands that I should look at.

Lastly, I assume that a Mini PC behaves the same as a normal PC or laptop so I would just download the software and drivers and then set everything up, and off it goes? Do I then need to go and plug in a USB to get all the images off and onto my laptop?

Thanks for all the help everyone :). I'm just very confused at this point :question:

Saturn488
18-02-2022, 09:04 PM
I use an Intel NUC that is mounted on my tripod. I then connect that to my wireless network and RDP to it from my main PC. Works a treat, never had a problem.

Todo43
18-02-2022, 09:57 PM
Which one is that? I just looked it up and there are so many of them

Saturn488
18-02-2022, 11:01 PM
I’m running a 6th gen i3. They are up to 11th gen but even a used old one on eBay will do the job.

Just make sure you get 256GB SSD, 8GB and an i3 minimum.

Todo43
19-02-2022, 10:01 AM
Just the information I was looking for! What price should I keep an eye out for?

Also, how do you get the images off the Mini PC onto the computer your process with?

AdamJL
19-02-2022, 10:53 AM
Beelink U55 or U59.
Great value mini PCs and work great with 12V
The older U55 is an i3 and the newer U59 is a Celeron but faster than the old i3.
You don’t need a fast CPU for an imaging rig

To get photos off I just plug in an external SSD and transfer them across at the end of the session or if I’m lazy I sync with OneDrive

calwood
19-02-2022, 11:17 AM
I use a CHUWI GBOX mini pc, its awesome. 12vdc input low power and fanless. I use a high speed usb3 wifi adapter and have a script that runs on startup to create its own wifi network. Its run SGP and PHD2 no probs. I can then remote into the pc with my phone to control from anywhere. https://www.amazon.com/CHUWI-Desktop-Computer-1000Mbps-Expansion/dp/B07F15PBDY

Todo43
19-02-2022, 12:33 PM
Sounds good. Both are great suggestions.

A friend has been a major advocate for an ASIAIR for a while and I've just seen one come up for $320. My whole setup apart from mount and scope is ZWO. It appears cheaper and easier than a Mini PC. Opinions?

AnakChan
19-02-2022, 02:15 PM
I have been using the GMK NUCBox for the past year with satisfaction. It's Celeron J4125 based, 8GB RAM & 512GB SATA SSD storage. It's purely image acquisition with N.I.N.A., Stellarium, PHD2, and CCDi.

This thing together with the Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Advance v1 stacks up to the same size as my ASIAir Pro & TP-Link WiFi. It handles my ASI6200MM Bin1 122MB file transfers fine.

The pix shows how the this GMK NUCBox & Pegasus Astro PPBA sits on my FSQ85ED.

However the newer trend for an astro imaging PC is the MeLE Fanless Mini PC Quieter 2. It's pretty much the same specs as the GMK NUCBox but has less storage, and more USB ports (i.e. less need for the Pegasus Astro's USB Hub).

Edit: I should add that the ASI software is simply fantastic. For most basic AP, the ASI does very well for an All-ZWO setup. In my case, I have Takahashi µ250CRS proprietary ASCOM based autofocusing, and PrimaluceLab Esatto 3" for the FSQ85ED, the PC/N.I.N.A. solution makes more sense. Also I tend to have a little bit more automation such as "image one when target is above 40deg", or 'target image XX from the moon", etc. For such kinds of conditions, the ASI is less sophisticated.

AdamJL
19-02-2022, 06:44 PM
It'd be REALLY nice if there was a valid alternative to the ASI Air that could be used on non-ZWO setups. The Stellarmate seems like it could to it, but I hear too many horror stories from that camp.

I'll be getting one in future as I think the concept is great for a lightweight travel rig.

I.C.D
19-02-2022, 07:09 PM
Hi Lachlan I am using a KOGAN ATLAS MINI PC - (KAMPCZ300 they are about $200 /250 it is just as good as the asiair but cheaper .I am running my camera filter wheel ,PHD 2, focuser ,the mount, as well as my guide camera N.I.N.A,CDC maps and ASCOM. I am also using Anydesk as my remote access .Their are some good reply in the above info but at the end of the day it will come down to the price you are willing to spend.

Todo43
19-02-2022, 09:16 PM
Thanks everyone. Spur of the moment decision to buy an ASIAIR for $250. Figured it would be great as all gear is ZWO. Thanks for all the help

pmrid
20-02-2022, 11:45 AM
With this idea in mind, I have moved to an entirely ZWO-based setup. Of course there is an associated set of limitations and costs. You are locked into ZWO products - focuser, filter wheel, cameras(although it does run a DSLRif you must).

The setup is based around their ASiair Plus device which is the computer component which sits on the scope via a guide cam foot and controls focuser, guide cam filter wheel, imaging camera and Mount. It runs on 12 volts and most ASi imaging cameras have a USB hub built in and the ASIair has 2 USB2 and 2 USB3 ports. The ASIair has internal SSD plus facility for. SD card and can also use a USB thumb drive as well.

I have no cables to trip over, no laptop to run. I run it all on battery as well. THE ASiair is controlled from an Android tablet or iPad which talks by wifi to the device. It is easy, reliable and above all, fun to use.

Wilsil
21-02-2022, 12:15 PM
If you have the money there is: PrimaLuceLab Eagle 4

Drac0
21-02-2022, 03:15 PM
I'm looking at getting a MeLE Quieter2Q - pocket sized, lightweight, runs WIN10/11 so can use any software with it. Just need to get a 12v to USB-C power adapter to run it of my 12v supply.

AdamJL
21-02-2022, 06:17 PM
I was close to getting one once.
But the more I looked into it, the more I thought they are very very overpriced for what they are. Specs wise, they are beaten by any modern mini PC for 1/6 the cost (my Beelink cost 400, the comparable specc'd Eagle costs 2649. Add in a Pegasus PBA and that total comes to 950... that's around 1/3 the total cost of the Eagle

The Eagle is nice but you're paying 2/3 of that total cost for the formfactor.

AdamJL
21-02-2022, 06:18 PM
Good luck :)
Did you get the Pro or the Plus? Keen to hear how you get on!

MrB
21-02-2022, 09:53 PM
I have one of these, works great. Be aware the Type-C is not PD compliant so will not negotiate 12V from a USB power supply. I just bought a cheap Type-C cable and cut the other end off to solder on a new plug. Easy.

Hemi
21-02-2022, 09:56 PM
Hey Lachlan, I love tinkering, a good thing seeing as 6m of the year the skies are pretty poor in Darwin.

I have the following…

1. i7 NUC (512 SSD, 16RAM) for several years
2. Stellarmate running on the latest Raspberry Pi (3m)
3. ASI Air plus (1m)

I think they can all be made to work beautifully and have different strengths.

1 is powerful and very versatile, has all the functionality of windows and software options are endless. You can do visual, EAA, photography etc configure joysticks, game pads etc. unsurpassed complexity is achievable. And there in maybe lays the downside.

2 can make a brilliantly portable rig for imaging and EAA. Works with most kit. And the best thing is it can run off a power bank…but it’s a bit slow. There is a lot of support, it’s cheap as chips. And I got it all to work with a minimum of fuss.

3 requires next to no tinkering if you are all ZWO. And honestly it just works, I was gobsmacked as to its ease. But it’s not the best for visual pursuits and not as sophisticated for EAA. It’s well made and very small, but the downside compared to SM is that it needs 12v 2amps and won’t run off of a power bank. A pity as it would make a really good pocket mobile solution.

Anyway a few brief thoughts of mine.

Cheers

Todo43
22-02-2022, 09:19 AM
Thanks Adam,

I got the Pro. Can't afford the Plus. I even got the Pro second-hand so it was once again cheaper. Now looking for a battery that I can use to power the mount and ASI air. I think I'm going to need about 7A/hour?

Wilsil
22-02-2022, 12:13 PM
True, but they look very professional.
I am looking at the MeLe as well as I want to get rid of my laptop.

Saturn488
22-02-2022, 08:08 PM
The MeLe looks really good but is it powerful enough?

AnakChan
22-02-2022, 08:43 PM
Depends on what you're going to do with it. The J4125 processor (and with sufficient ram) is enough for image acquisition/scheduling with N.I.N.A. etc. But if you're going to also do PixInsight processing with it then maybe not.

IMO, with these small mini/micro PCs (I use the GMK NUCBox), there's little need to use the Intel NUC boxes anymore, unless one's going to do more than just image acquisition with it.

AdamJL
23-02-2022, 02:53 PM
This might help you with batteries.
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=1546573&postcount=2

There are other options out there now as well, depending on budget. Lithium battery packs are really starting to come out in full.

That they do! If PLL ever release an upgraded unit that's cheaper, well I'll be very interested.

Possibly. The CPUs are fairly similar to the Beelink U59. Note I'm not comparing traditional NUCs here as they're generally faster (generally!)

Beelink uses the N5095 and the MeLe uses the J4125

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Celeron-N5095-vs-Intel-Celeron-J4125/4472vs3667
https://cpu-benchmark.org/compare/intel-celeron-n5095/intel-celeron-j4125/

My biggest concern though, is eMMC storage... that's a big no-no from me. Yes I know it can be upgraded but then that increases the cost.

Saturn488
23-02-2022, 04:47 PM
With the MeLe you can add a m.2. I wonder if you can install Windows directly on that and just not use the eMMC then the speed would be much faster!

Drac0
23-02-2022, 11:17 PM
Apparently you can & use the eMMC purely as storage/backup.The 256GB version seems to be the 128GB eMMC + 128GB M.2 (this is confusing as the written description says 256gb eMMC and the images show mixed) while the 512GB version they are both 256GB. Then there is the SD card support as well. I really do like the look of these for imaging to replace my laptop and USB3 hub. Probably buy the 8GB/128GB & add a 256GB M.2.

While I do like like the ASIAir for what they can do, I think they are a little restricting - only supports ZWO gear & DSLR, so no good with my other brand gear, no support for multiple imaging cameras & synced dithering, etc. And, of course, I have everything set up & working with my current gear & software which can do everything the ASIAir can do. I just like the versatility of the new mini pc's like the MeLE over the ASIAir.

MrB
23-02-2022, 11:29 PM
Yes. That's exactly what I have done with a 512 Samsung.

Drac0
24-02-2022, 12:06 AM
Great to have it confirmed!

Saturn488
24-02-2022, 04:03 PM
Perfect!

NSpillars
16-03-2022, 12:51 PM
Most NUCs would work

I have used variety of 10/11 generations intel NUC and more recently a ryzen based system with core i5 equivalent.

Contrary to some opinions it quiet happily runs on 12v dc even the ones that require higher 19v dc connection as internally it gets converted to 12vd regardless its more to do with the total power that can be supplied, but for the average astro setup it should be completely fine, i even process whilst imaging with pixinsight just for fun still on 12vd dc supplied via the Pegasus power box and it runs without issue mounted on top of scope

Saturn488
16-03-2022, 01:03 PM
Been using the quiter now for a few sessions and it's a perfect alternative to the NUC. You can easily mount it on your setup and it only weights 200-300 grams.

I just need to work out powering it from the Pegasus Pocket Power Box Advanced. Saw some people hacking a few cables together to achieve this.

NSpillars
17-03-2022, 01:21 PM
one of the usb ports on the advance should supply sufficient power its designed to supply 3a at 5v to the pi3/4

I use a usb a to c cable from lindy that can support the power draw. that should work

MrB
17-03-2022, 02:57 PM
He needs to use one of the 12v outputs.

One of these: https://www.altronics.com.au/p/p6731-usb-type-c-to-2.1mm-dc-adapter/
And one of these: https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-1mm-dc-plug-to-2-1mm-dc-plug-adaptor/p/PA3707
Would get it done easily.

Better would be cutting the original cable and adding one of these(no soldering):
https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-1mm-dc-plug-with-screw-terminals/p/PA3711

Better still, soldering one of these and heat-shrinking some strain-relief:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-1mm-dc-power-line-connector/p/PP0510