PDA

View Full Version here: : ASI120 mini

Bart
15-01-2022, 07:17 AM
Howdy,

Recently I upgraded my operating system to Win 10 pro and unfortunately have not been able to get my QHY5L-II working reliably since. I have tried many things apart from adjusting it with a 4 lb hammer.

Those of you that are using the ASI 120 mini, can you please provide some feedback on download times when guiding and connectivity issues with Win 10, e.eg hard to get it to connect, PHD2 doesn't work well etc?

This camera is on my list of upgrades and I know nothing about it.

Thanks.

Startrek
15-01-2022, 08:30 AM
I use Windows 10 Pro and PHD2 with a ZWOASI120MM-S on 2 different rigs in 2 different locations ( Bortle 7/8 and Bortle 3 ) and has worked flawlessly for years
Connects to PHD2 instantaneously
The ASI mini is a similar camera to the 120MM-S both 1.2 mega pixel, both 12 bit , both have 3.75 pixel size , same sensor
Differences
Mini is weighs 60gm , 120MM is 100gm
Mini has USBC interface
120MM has USB2 / USB3 interface

I use 2 sec exposures in PHD2 which seems to be a good balance across seeing conditions

Just ensure latest Ascom and ZWO drivers are installed

Also check USB power management ( attached )

Martin

Nikolas
15-01-2022, 08:56 AM
Asi120mm mini is a great guide camera latest drivers from ZWO ensures it works well regardless of windows updates.

Startrek
15-01-2022, 09:01 AM
One important item I missed cabling to camera
I use a Startech Active USB3 5m cable ( $180 ) from the camera direct to Laptop
PHD2 recommend Ascom pulse guiding ( Camera direct to Laptop )
Used all different brands of cheaper non active USB3 cables ( $25 , $60 etc... ) and they all had intermittent connectivity problems ( due to length being over 3m ) so the bullet and bought the Startech cable and has been connecting and working flawlessly for years
Check length limitations on USBC cable ?

Cheers

AdamJL
15-01-2022, 09:33 AM
Just out of curiosity, what issues are you having with the QHY camera? When you installed the all in one driver pack, did you select the right driver package in the options? The models in that list don’t correlate to real world model numbers unfortunately. Silly on QHY’s part

Drac0
15-01-2022, 10:21 AM
Just a note on ZWO guide cams & PHD2 - when selecting the camera, use the ZWO native driver NOT the ASCOM driver. I found that using the ASCOM driver the camera kept timing out/disconnecting every few minutes. Not has the problem since switching to the native driver - it was a solution I found somewhere out there while looking for a solution.

Startrek
15-01-2022, 12:17 PM
I’ve used the Ascom driver for 4 years and no connectivity problems at all ???

Might have been in your Ascom or PHD2 camera settings ???

Drac0
15-01-2022, 01:18 PM
Everything kept the same, just switched the driver. But with so many different software+hardware setups what works for some won't work for others. All I know is I'm not alone with this issue & switching the drivers totally fixed the issue for me with not a single disconnect since. Just something for users to be aware of if they come across the same problem. :)

AdamJL
15-01-2022, 03:54 PM
+1 to native ZWO drivers for their cameras. NINA devs recommend this too.

Bart
16-01-2022, 11:46 AM
Great observations and excellent feedback, thank you!

The cost difference between an ASI 120 mini and a Lodestar is quite large so I'm trying to be informed.

Bart
16-01-2022, 11:49 AM
Adam, can you expand on this information? What does that actually mean and can you point to a trusted resource for further information?

I installed the QHY5II drivers, the WDM drivers and the ASCOM 6.5 drivers, which is the version of ASCOM I am running.

AdamJL
16-01-2022, 07:44 PM
Sure

When you install the QHY driver pack, you are asked to select what you want from the first screenshot below. I'm going to just focus on the drivers here. So you select them, then click next.

AdamJL
16-01-2022, 07:46 PM
Next you select the camera. And here's where things aren't so clear cut. For example, the QHY268M uses drivers from the first check box (QHY5III) as do all QHY USB 3 cameras.
All USB 2 cameras use the QHY5II checkbox.

AdamJL
16-01-2022, 07:49 PM
Lastly, sometimes the drivers don't take. This is from a NINA developer, but the fix here is for everyone who's camera isn't recognised by their computer

https://daleghent.com/2021/02/1q2021-qhy-native-driver

In case of USB driver update problems

Some folks have experienced issues updating the USB driver, where it appears that the driver update did not take. There is one thing to try if this is the case:

1. With the camera disconnected, right click Start and open Device Manager
2. Go to the View menu and select Show hidden devices
3. Expand the AstroImaging Equipment section
4. Right click QHY5IIISeries_FW, select Properties, and then the Driver tab
5. Press the Update Driver button, and select Search automatically for drivers
6. Also do steps 4 and 5 for the QHY5IIISeries_IO device
7. Plug in the camera. Verify that it is on the newer device driver version

After the above steps are done, and barring any deeper issues, the driver and firmware loader for the camera should be updated to the version that was installed. QHY are aware of this issue and are looking into it.

Give that a go and see what happens. Might save you from buying a new camera :)

Bart
17-01-2022, 11:54 AM
Thanks Adam.

Yep I did the QHY5II.

I'll look into the other info re NINA although that is for cameras later than mine, it is USB2 only.

Cheers.

Wilsil
17-01-2022, 01:23 PM
I am using the 120MM mini without any problems.
Connects to PHD2, guides etc, everything works out of the box.