PDA

View Full Version here: : AstroTrailer Part 1: The Restoration

DaveO
09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Greetings all

Thought I'd share this little project with you all.

I don't know about you all, but space at our place is at a premium. No garage (only a carport) and 2 small children - you get the idea. :shrug:

At my place, the only available storage space has been the spare toilet off the laundry :sadeyes: (and yes, that probably does give you some idea of my wife's opinion of astronomy in general!!).

On top of this, I have no yard to speak of, only a small courtyard strategically placed between 3 street lights, which my wife for some strange reason feels should be reserved for the children to run around in. That means I have to "commute" to observe. That means loading and unloading my Magna, after which I am the only person able to fit into the car!

Add these two facts together and you will understand my motivation for my latest project: the AstroTrailer - storage and transport in one!

I started researching box trailers, builders trailers and the like, but generally this was going to cost me about 5K - the price of a very decent new scope.

Then I stumbled across camper trailers - accomodation and transport and storage. But they were about 9K (2 scopes?). What was a man to do? :shrug:

I then had the luck to stumble across an ad in the Trading Post for an old camper trailer. After looking at it, I was convinced this was the solution. And it was only $1650 (okay, you can still get a good scope for that, but I wanted to use the one I already had!).

So this weekend I spent the time restoring the trailer to a point where it might look the part of an AstroTrailer. Attached are photos of the transformation.

1. The trailer before I started
2. After removing all fittings, primed the bare spots
3. Painted in a charcoal hammer finish paint
4. Added a grey checker plate lino
5. The finished product

Doing the work and procuring the bits took all 4 days of the Easter break. Next week I hope to finalise the fitout to house all the astro gear.

stringscope
09-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Hi David,

What a great project :thumbsup: . It would be great to just hitch up your trailer and, so long as you have fresh thermos of coffee, you are ready to go. BTW does the trailer have a reasonable suspension?

Cheers,

DaveO
09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Ian

I am going to take the trailer in for a checkup underneath this week. It has fairly simple suspension, but I am planning to keep everything well padded, and I am not likely to take it off-road.

And yes, the idea is to just hitch up and go!

rogerg
10-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Excellent idea. That would sure make travelling to dark skies easier.

ballaratdragons
10-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Fantastic Idea and great work!!!!

DaveO
10-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys. Yes it will make getting to dark (actually any) skies easier, but best of all will be not having to pack before I go and unpack when I get back.

And the saving of "in-house space" is appreciated - it was actually my wife's suggestion to have a trailer, and she has been very supportive (including allowing me to refurb it all Easter weekend :eyepop: ).

It's booked in for new tyres, wheels and suspension this Friday, with the first trip out to the AAQ's "local" dark sky site Saturday (weather allowing). I have to work out the fit out this week so I can get it done Saturday.

Wish I were as handy at carpentry as I am with a rivet gun and spray can! :whistle:

Orion
10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Very nice, I also like the color.:thumbsup:

AstroJunk
12-04-2007, 09:35 PM
How good is that!

And just how many hours did you put in over the weekend!!!

Looking forward to it's first outing on saturday (and say hi to the QT Pod from me:P )