PDA

View Full Version here: : DIY Laser pointer bracket

Dobman
27-02-2007, 12:04 AM
:help: Hi everyone, I'm now the proud owner of a laser pointer but now I need a bracket to mount it on to my scope. I know there are commercial ones available but wondered if anyone has made their own or know of any web pages about making one?
BTW, these laser pointers are brilliant(pardon the pun), i got a 10mw & I love it. Excellent for showing the sky to non astro nerds
Simon

ballaratdragons
27-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Must not have laser laws in Tassie.

In Victoria you are not allowed to purchase a green laser pointer without the bracket!

It is suppose to mean that you are going to mount it on a scope as an 'Observing Findersope' and not wave it around by hand which is actually illegal in Victoria.

Wierd huh! Buy a bracket and it ain't illegal any more. (but you are meant to mount it :whistle: )

Yep, I got a 10mw too, fun ain't it! . . . ummm . . mounted to the scope I mean :D

xstream
27-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Here you go Simon. I hope this fits your requirements.

http://www.asaw.org.au/?pid=&p=8&id=1

sheeny
27-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Simon,

I built an "innovative" laser pointer mount that allowed me to easily attach the pointer to the scope or remove it for hand held use... but it didn't work, so I won't bother you with the details!:lol: The aim of the laser was not repeatable each time it was placed back on the scope.

Al.

acropolite
27-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Simon, if he doesn't reply here, PM Photon, he has made a good bracket for his dob from PVC pipe. I can't remember the details but I'm sure Ian would be happy to post some pics.

okiscopey
27-02-2007, 01:42 PM
That's right, if you want to take the pointer on and off the scope you'll need really accurate dovetail or something. The Lumicon is only (?) $79 and works well.

Dobman
28-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks Xtream, I was thinking about somrthing along those lines already. I cant see why you need 2 sets of alignment screws and it would be easier to mount & unmount the pointer.
I should be seeing Photon soon, so I'll have a look at his too.

Simon