PDA

View Full Version here: : Worst Road in Australia - Nominate

glend
27-08-2019, 12:05 AM
I have done alot of driving in Australia, both for business, commuting, and holidays and feel I have a good appreciation of the state of the roads I have travelled over. My nomination for the scariest road in Australia is that monster stretch of highway between the Gold Coast and Brisbane. It is fairly unique in that every lane seems to be the fast lane, and like skiers traversing a slope, drivers zoom across multiple lanes with seemingly little regard for others. Maybe there is some special sense that they have in SEQLD where they can visualise a gap before it appears, but if one appears the cascade it sets off is terrifying. Sydney and Melbourne are tame by comparison.
Do you have a nomination?:lol:

Ukastronomer
27-08-2019, 12:53 AM
The Pacific Highway ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4U6qU4HPMw

xelasnave
27-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Came up two days ago and best trip yet. It's pretty good now as almost all towns are by passed...after Newcastle you only have Coffs Harbour and Grafton and I noticed the new bridge at Grafton reaches all the way across the river so it should not be long where there is a better route thru there...certainly the quickest trip I have had ..from door to door 9.5 hours ..one food stop and one petrol stop.
The road from Drake to Tenterfield is pretty bad..it has elbow corners that always seem to catch you out ..you slow up knowing it's crook but nevertheless you are still just a little too fast..
The Galston Gorge road from Hornsby Heights to Galston is another.
Alex

leon
27-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Any road in Queensland especially the Bruce Highway, I have traveled many roads in all states and QLD is on the top IMHO.

Leon

AstralTraveller
27-08-2019, 09:34 AM
I'm not sure about the worst road. Roads can be pretty poor in remote areas. However, if we stick to highways then perhaps this is the worst. Then again, it may be the best. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Wni9T_DAM

FlashDrive
27-08-2019, 11:26 AM
You are sooooooooooo correct ...!!
Rear ' enders ' are quite common ...people are in too much of a hurry.

LewisM
27-08-2019, 11:49 AM
ACT roads are an embarrassment for the nations capitol.

Startrek
27-08-2019, 12:17 PM
For our national highway the M1 out of Sydney between Wyong and Freeman’s drive is the worse road surface I’ve ever driven on , absolutely disgraceful
I can’t imaging what overseas tourists think coming to Australia, renting a motor home and driving on this horrible section of our main highway ( an embarrassment )
Come on state and federal governments pull your finger out and get this damn 20 km section ripped up and replaced ASAP

glend
27-08-2019, 01:47 PM
It is being replaced right now. The program to add lanes all the way to Morisset is well underway. Work is complete to just past the Doylson exit south of Morisset. This will make the M1 three lanes in both directions to Sydney. They are using a recycling build technique, where these big machines come through and break up the old cracked concrete roadway and turn it into gravel road base which is used to create the new road. The completed sections are bitumen on top of a deep road base and very smooth. It's just a shame it is taking so long, but understandable because they have to destroy the old lanes to build the new ones.
And once the NorthConnect tunnel opens, my trip from Morisset to Sydney will be a dream, hopefully.:lol:

GrahamL
29-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Grafton to murrwulumbah before they started the upgrades mountains and roads slapped on top of old bullock tracks the volume of traffic and deaths was a terrible thing , much of it gone now thankfully.

Drake to tenterfield is a road that never seems to end Alex :)

atkinsonr
29-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Pittwater road is my pick. I don't think it's been resurfaced since the 1960's? when they ripped out the trams and laid concrete in slabs.

Driving along it sounds like your on a train driving down the tracks. clack, clack clack.