PDA

View Full Version here: : Fitting a SCT Focuser

FlashDrive
02-02-2019, 06:29 PM
I am attempting to replace my ' helical ' focuser on my Intes MK65 with a 2" inch SCT Focuser.

So ....believe it or not, I tried a Baader ' Clicklock ' Adapter ( that is on my TAK FS78 ) and it screwed straight on to the Intes Mak..... ...surprise , surprise ...!!..:eyepop:

So now I know the ' thread pitch ' which is M56 x .075 on the back of my MAK. ( same as the draw tube on the FS78 )
A SCT 2" inch Crayford Focuser is M50 x 24tpi.....( internal thread ).... wrong ...it should be 50.80mm ( 2" inches )

I had an Adapter machined up with both required ' threads ' on each end to suit my little project.

I don't have a 2" inch SCT Focuser at the moment .....just need to get hold of one to see if it all works out.

Here are some ' pics ' and I chose the Adapter on the ' left ' side of the drawings......and the original focuser on the Intes.

Also ....you'll see why I have a ' wanted ' AD showing for a loan of a SCT Focuser ......if no response , I'll hop on a train and go see Astro Pete in the Myer Center in Brisbane, and take the Intes MAK with me. :D....I need to try it out before parting with ' cash 'for a new SCT Focuser.

Fingers crossed ...it will work as I hope.

Col.....

Merlin66
02-02-2019, 06:32 PM
Col,
The SCT thread is a 2” x 24tpi, unfortunately does fit a M50 thread....

FlashDrive
02-02-2019, 06:42 PM
hmmm.....I'll have to check this again.
I measured the ' diameter ' of the Intes Focuser thread with a digital caliper ..it showed 50.80mm... bugger I gave the wrong measurement as 50mm :shrug:

2inches = 50.80mm.

Col...

Edit ....you right ...it is too smaller diameter ......back to the drawing board :( ...

Merlin66
02-02-2019, 06:52 PM
I use both the SCT 2” threads and the M50 threads....the SCT doesn’t fit the M50 thread of the PST etalon assembly.
Sorry!

FlashDrive
02-02-2019, 07:19 PM
I've just emailed Raf to machine up another Adapter for me with the correct measurement.

Watch this Space ....:rolleyes:

FlashDrive
19-02-2019, 12:48 PM
OK .....correct Adapter fitted for a 2" inch SCT Focuser.

Just have to buy a good focuser now....!!

Col....