PDA

View Full Version here: : Mount Power Issues

barx1963
24-08-2018, 11:15 PM
I am currently using an Orion AZ EQ G Mount (same as the SW AZEQ6)
I power it via a Rig Runner which uses fuses. I have started to blow the fuses that are on the outlet for the mount. It is not a prob with the Rigrunner as it happens regardless which slot I use and it is only ever the mount that causes an issue.
So couple of queries, firstly, I am using 3A fuses. Would this be right for this mount? Second, any suggestions as to a solution or is it a "send back to Bintel" job?

Cheers

Malcolm

PS. May be an excuse to upgrade my mount of course!!

glend
24-08-2018, 11:31 PM
Might be the the 12v socket board connection, the Skywatcher mounts have a bad history of power connector issues. Is it under warranty? If so ring Bintel, assuming you bought it from them.

barx1963
24-08-2018, 11:47 PM
Thanks Glen. Appears to be either the power cable itself which is an easy fix as I have a couple of spares, or where it connects to the mount. Only ever happens when the mount is moving and the cable may have some minor strain on it.
I will call Bintel. I think I bought it at the end of 2015 so I guess it is well out of warranty!

Malcolm

gjr80
24-08-2018, 11:59 PM
I am sure I have seen 2.something amps on my amp meter when using my AZEQ6. I would have have thought a 3A fuse might have been cutting it a bit fine. Especially if its not a slow blow.

Gary

DJ N
25-08-2018, 12:05 AM
Hi Malcolm

My AZ EQ6 drew just over 3 amps at full slew (both axes). I was using a 5A power supply so I think you might be cutting it too fine.

Cheers

Daniel

barx1963
25-08-2018, 08:00 AM
Thanks Daniel
Haven't had any trouble until the last couple of sessions, may try a 5A fuse

Cheers

Malcolm

Wavytone
25-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Hi Malcom 3A is not enough - I’ve seen my AZEQ6 draw 3A. It’s a bit dependent though on the load on the motors which is a function of how heavily loaded the mount is, and how tight the worms are against the worm wheels (friction).

From an electrical perspective the point of fuses is to protect the cable and the supply (ie battery) against a dead short that may start a fire or cause the battery to explode. They’re purpose is not to protect your mount.

In this respect fuses should be sized according to the safe limits for the cable, the connectors and battery - and that could easily be 5-10A.

Fir the same reason the circuit breakers in your house are typically 10A or 15A, not 1A on say a lighting circuit powering no more than a couple of lightbulbs.

barx1963
25-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Thanks Nick. Electrics are not my thing, know just enough to be dangerous!! Will try the 5A fuse. Obviously something has changed with the mount to push the draw above 3A.

Cheers

Malcolm