PDA

View Full Version here: : Building a Geo Dome, traps to fall into..

Shawn
09-01-2007, 07:40 PM
It covers pretty much everything you need to be certifiably nuts..

http://ravenshoe.net/geoconstruct.htm
:D

Although the end result, :cool:

Dennis
09-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Wow - a fantastic step-by-step guide. Boy, this sure was a labour of love, or you're stark raving bonkers - or both.

Excellent write up with great photos and explanations, thanks for the post and link to a very successful and unique construction. And yes, it's cool and it rocks!

Cheers

Dennis

stephenmcnelley
09-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I take my hat of to SirDystic, thast is some amazing stuff. the props in the photos are great for getting a scale on things, that sure is going to be a nice observatory when up and running.

rmcpb
09-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I can't believe that effort! Brilliant job and you deserve every minute of observing time it gives you.

davidpretorius
09-01-2007, 09:08 PM
that is fantastic, congrats.............hmmmmmmm, me brain is thinking me can do that....after the peltier coolers......after the eq mount of asimovs......after the kids grow up...

Astroman
09-01-2007, 09:49 PM
hmmm how much would you charge for a 9ft dome LOL,..... only joking by the way :P

Omaroo
09-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Top write-up Shawn. :thumbsup:

We are currently in "looking for new house with huge and dark backyard" mode. I just may go the full hog, certify myself now, and say I'll build a geo too.

Great work.

Tamtarn
10-01-2007, 10:34 AM
What a huge effort Shawn ....To see the step by step process makes it more amazing !! A fantastic observatory. :astron:

Harb
10-01-2007, 02:03 PM
My question is ................ would you do it again, or if the money was there, would you just buy a fibreglass dome ?

cheers

By the way, this is a work of art!!

Shawn
10-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the kind comments all, As for your question Harb, i would do it again, because I learnt from this one, how to do it more efficiently. But if you said would I do it "ie first time" and knowing what I know now, I would say no.

catch 22,

Thats why my advice is available to anybody that wants to build one of these, in order to make things easier for them.

Nobody that I could track down was doing this or similar in these proportions without tradespeople and a bigger budget...:lol:. hence I learnt through doing..

Shawn

bloodhound31
10-01-2007, 05:53 PM
:sadeyes:
I was Shawn........

Shawn
10-01-2007, 06:13 PM
No Worries Baz, you having a win with yours, ? this pic taken this afternoon, just finishing the guttering, the wet is near.

Ravenshoe Observe a tree LOL

Cheers

S

bloodhound31
10-01-2007, 07:24 PM
That looks bloody marellous Shawn! I didn't see any bank managers so mine is still going. I bought another 4 litres of resin this afternoon to finish the glass job. On monday i will get the flowcoat. I still look to be on target for a mid febuary finish.

Baz.:D

Shawn
10-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Good news Baz, My budget blew out a bit. Pressed for time with the wet and all. But by the time time the wet is over the bank will have my other arm..And Ill be ready to go. I think the whole building cost about 10 large plus time. Not too bad really. My time is worth , well "not a lot at the moment". :)

You can stop, with the fine weather prayers now buddy, Its water proof..

Its good to have freinds in higher places...

Cheers S

Shawn
11-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Just the guttering to put up...

bloodhound31
11-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Mate it takes more than good weather to stop me praying for people. ;)

Anything I can do.

Baz:D:prey: