PDA

View Full Version here: : My Bigger Binocular Mount

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Well done Erick.

I have always been fond of binoculars – I followed all the advise in the beginners books and purchased my first 7x50’s when I was 11 or so from York Optical at Somerset Place in Melbourne. These were not cheap for what was only mediocre optical quality, but that was all that was around in those days. Buying a telescope was phenomenally expensive.

I think binoculars are great – you get a real sense of the sky, they are portable and convenient and you can use them to locate faint fuzzies for inspection with a telescope. They can even be used as finders, as the attached image attests.

Binoculars come into their own under a dark sky and a bright milky way. Even small ones are awesome when applied to the milky way. Their use in the city seems limited to confirming that there are some faint fuzzies up there.

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Times have changes, and with the advent of the chinese optical industry I can buy 25x100’s for under $500. What was once only a dream – to own a large set of binos, has become a reality, and all for the measly cost of food for a month. The choice between buying astro gear and eating food for a month is an easy one, and explains my lean physique (or at least I wish it did).

So some months ago I purchased a 22x100 from Andrews. These are very big beasts, and they need a suitably beefy mount to accommodate them. I don’t work out enough to allow me to hand hold them.

With 100mm binos, a whole new sky is opened up.

http://www.aaq.org.au/PDF_Documents/Library/SkyVistas.pdf

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 01:57 PM
I already had 11x80’s, purchased for a kings ransom back in the 80’s (again from York). For these, I had built a parallogram mounting. These work beautifully, and are very inexpensive to make. My secret was using a manfrotto tripod head to adapt the bino to the mount. Was that cheating?

The only problem I found with using such a mount is that the binoculars are now steady, and the images still. Poor optical quality becomes readily apparent. The view can be disappointing. They were, after all, only cheap binoculars. Cost $300 when that would have been the average weekly wage. The desire for the superlative 16x70 Fujinon takes form, but at their price I will need to starve for 3 months, which is getting more of a challenge.

However, I do notice that their price has been reduced of late…

http://www.amazon.com/Fujinon-7107670-16x70-FMT-SX/dp/B0002GTTEU

hmmm

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 01:58 PM
I found that the 22x100 were simply too heavy for my parallogram mounting. It worked, but only just.

A new approach, and a new mounting, was needed.

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 01:59 PM
This image always seems to evoke and interesting response from everyone who views it – and who wouldn’t want this level of comfort?

The problem with this mount is the springs – one hardware failure with those springs and you get a squishy noise as you say ‘goodbye eyeballs’.

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 02:03 PM
So a search of the net did reveal some interesting designs…

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 02:05 PM
We then come to Queensland Astrofest 2006, where I spied Geoff Coffey’s big bino mount. Now Geoff is a member of the Amateur Telescope Making Club of Queensland (ATMQ), and also design engineer who does management consulting. This shows. Underneath his laid back exterior is a brilliant mind. This mount is a paragon of light weight simplicity and elegance. It does not only work well, rather it works flawlessly. It is pure genius. How could binoculars so big be supported so easily and conveniently by something so portable? The secret, of course, is in the design.

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Could I replicate this product of pure genius? That would be a mission. My Dad called me a “bush carpenter”, no doubt motivated by the agricultural nature of some of the products of my workshop. Yes, I admit, it is astro junk. I have produced a long line of projects, some failures, some not so failures. The not so failures usually work, but sometimes the cosmetics are less than perfect. Sometimes the utility is less than perfect, too. But hey, in the dark, who is looking?

Of course, my father was a real carpenter, who learnt his trade in the army and served on the Kokoda track at a time when the Emperor was trying to persuade this country to join the East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere. Unfortunately for the Emperor, things did not necessarily go to his advantage, and the invasion currency was never used for its intended purpose, rather ended up being traded amongst us kids at school. I still have some. Pity about the many thousands of young Australians who died in northern Australia and the islands. We forget our history so easily.

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Well here is my attempt.

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 02:09 PM
lets try that again

jjjnettie
01-01-2007, 02:10 PM
The problem with this mount is the springs – one hardware failure with those springs and you get a squishy noise as you say ‘goodbye eyeballs’.

LOLOLOLOL
Looking forward to your next installment.

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Despite its astrotrashy nature, it does work very well. I am pleased but not sure it quite lives up to the compact elegance and simplicity of the original design.

Compared to a brought one, they are very very inexpensive to make. I would like to see a few more at Astrofest 2007.

jjjnettie
01-01-2007, 02:39 PM
It sure looks solid enough.
Do you take orders?

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 02:42 PM
This one is merely a prototype. It might take me a while to tool up for mass manufacturing. Then I can take orders. :whistle:

erick
01-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Looks neat! Is the whole lot sitting on a "lazy susan"? I've seen a few designs like that. Can you disassemble for transport?

Sure is more professional than mine. Nicer colour too! ;)

ballaratdragons
01-01-2007, 10:02 PM
I have the layback chair on top of a lazy susan platform, but still hand hold the knockies as I'm yet to make a mounting frame.

Even hand held, this sure is a comfortable way to knockie the sky! :thumbsup:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11938&highlight=rotatable

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 11:09 PM
It is on a lazy susan type mounting that I think was recovered from an old microfiche reader. It comes apart for transport.

astroron
02-01-2007, 12:14 AM
Nice thread Bill, look forward to seeing the Bino chair up at Cambroon sometime in the future:thumbsup: