PDA

View Full Version here: : Iridium Flares

gbeal
11-04-2005, 06:36 PM
A while back there were a couple of shots of Iridium Flares on this forum. They got me thinking.
Many years ago, well 4 or 5 anyway, I chased these happenings with a "normal camera" and 35mm film
I haven't seen or looked for one more recently, and wondered what they would come out like on digital.
Iridium 43 was scheduled to be mag -7 at my address early this morning, 0444 exactly. Fortunately the cat alarm clock kicked in, and I duly got out of the pit to shoot this thing. Attached is what it turned out like, as it happened smack in the middle of the LMC.
Nikon D100, with the stock 18-70mm lens, about 60 seconds at max aperture (f3.5), and ISO1250.
Lotsa luck, and fun, apart from the ungodly hour, maybe an evening one next. Give it a go though.

Crash Nebula
11-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Wow.
That's just beautiful
GREAT WORK! That's an amazing picture to me. I hope to take pictures like that someday. Good work :) :cool2: :clap: :party2: :2thumbs: :sunny:
Cheers and many emoties,
Crash

[1ponders]
11-04-2005, 06:59 PM
That's an amazing picture to anyone Gary. Well caught. :cool2:

gbeal
11-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Pure luck, as I was still half asleep.
That's what I mean, this sort of picture is accessible to anyone with a camera, no scope nor drive required. Tripod is essential, but I didn't even use a cable release, it was inside the hanger, and I was too lazy/sleepy.

Striker
11-04-2005, 07:18 PM
nice one Gary...just shows what you can do when your half asleep....

Mick
11-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Stunning Gary, I think you’re hooked again. :D

gaa_ian
11-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Great work Gary ... Iridium flares are always a hit.
Looks like a good shot for the Mags, with a paragraph about the Iridium flares.

Robby
12-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Nice shot Gary,
Could do with a bit more UnShape mask :)..... (For the confused, see the unshape mask thread)..
How do you find out when/where these things occur?
Cheers

iceman
12-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Heavens-Above (http://www.heavens-above.com)

That is really, really awesome Gary. Pity about the glow in the bottom right but the flare passing over the LMC, what luck!

I reckon you should do some processing on the image to flatten the field and remove the glow, and then send it into the magazines.. that's an awesome shot.