PDA

View Full Version here: : NGC1850 and NGC1858 Nebulae in NB

Bassnut
11-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Hi Guys

A slightly unusual one that was difficult to colour map. The exposure hrs dont mean much as OIII and SII were very faint and didnt contribute much.

RGB added for stars.

Large here (https://fredsastro.smugmug.com/Photography/Astrophotography-1/i-VrJk7KR/A).

Taken on an RCOS 10" RC Scope at f9, SBIG STXL6303E Camera and PME mount at itelescopes Siding Spring Observatory.
Processed with CCDstack, Star Tools and Photoshop. 64 hrs Total exposure time.
Ha, Ha, SII, OIII. Mapped as LRYellowB.

Ha 28hrs, 40min subs bin1. SII 21hrs. OIII 23hrs 40min subs bin2

strongmanmike
11-03-2017, 10:45 PM
Wow, an essentially true colour palette image..?.. from Fred?? :eyepop: and not a piece of random abstract messy art either :lol: I really like it, some of the best stars you have displayed in a long time too, nice work mate, makes sense :thumbsup:

There is a circular blue patch in the lower left corner, is that a processing artifact or real?

Mike

Placidus
12-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Very beautiful, Fred. Wanting to try those two for a very long time but never got round to it. Now we know they are well and truly worth it.

The right hand of the two nebulae looks most intriguing, a bit like Rick's Spaghetti Nebula SNR, but with an open cluster in the middle of it.

Well done! Top shelf.

RickS
12-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Love the rich colours and the crisp detail, Fred!

Bassnut
12-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Thanks Mike. Given its pretty much Ha, not much chance of me stuffing the pallete up :P. The round blue patch is huge and strong and only in OIII (attenuated by Ha as lum). I dont see this in any other pic Ive done recently, so tempted to think its not an artifact or giant dust bunny or something (I dont use flats), but its just too round, it must be light leaking in or a reflection or something.

Thanks Mike. Yes it does look similar, makes you wonder what process causes these shapes given they are not random one offs and are repeated elsewhere. The 2 tight star clusters are interesting too.

Thanks Rick. Im finding rich colours are easier to achieve with mono or bi colour. That might be obvious :P

Placidus
12-03-2017, 06:19 PM
I keep coming back to this one, Fred. So much busy, violent activity up there, and so much diversity. Very nicely processed.

Maurice
12-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Great image Fred.
The web-like structure of ngc1850 is fascinating.
cheers
Maurice

Atmos
12-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Really nice shot Fred, sure is a lot of hydrogen in there but it is quite dynamic :)