PDA

View Full Version here: : Dismantling F/6.3 reducer

rogerg
28-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Has anyone had experience pulling apart a Meade F/6.3 reducer? I'm trying without success. I can see two notches inside that I expect are there so that the inner ring can be un-threaded hence allowing the glass to come out, but I just can't get the sucker to turn - it must be stuck with lock-tight sort of stuff. Ideas? I wonder about putting some sort of lubricant on it but worry about getting anything on the coated optics.

I'm trying to get it appart so I can put the optics inside a 2" drawtube (for those who know what I mean - no I haven't bought one of Ted Agos's ones, but have got my neighbour machining me up a substitute..)

If expect most people will just have a blank look, but if someone has done it before they might know what I mean..

Roger.

Merlin66
28-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Don't know. Usually they would screw apart, if it's loctite then a bit of heat ( in the oven at 120-150deg for 3-4min) will definately soften it. Have you considered a 40mm or 50mm bino lens?? They are very similar and the focal length should be close enough to give the required reduction.

rogerg
30-11-2006, 03:08 PM
I ended up managing to get it appart with a combination of brute force and un-threading it the correct direction.

Roger.