PDA

View Full Version here: : Cooling DSLRs to reduce noise

Geoff45
27-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Now that the warmer weather is upon us, I started wondering if anyone has tried cooling DSLR cameras to reduce noise. If so, how do you do it? Is it worthwhile?

On another related matter, how long can you expose with something like a Canon 350D before noise becomes too unmanageable?
Geoff

Striker
27-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi Geoff.

here you go..I had one of these but it cooled too much for the humidity up here...around 20°c below ambient caused condensation on the internal IRfilter.

Noise shouldn't become a problem the longer you image..more skyglow is the issue...if thats the case lower the ISO the longer your exposures....this will give higher signal to noise ratio.

here is where the cameras are. http://www.centralds.net/en/index.htm

they still have my Helix image on the web site and great blokes to deal with.

Garyh
29-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Hi Geoff,
I done a search through the posts and it seems a few people have given it a go.....
I have been experimenting with peltier cooling with my 300d.
I shall put up a post shortly with the results and what I did try.
The most I can cool it externally is around 10c below ambient. Does make a difference but I wouldn`t bother setting it up unless it was going it be a warm night like 20c or higher.
The night I did the experiment it was 13c ambient and at the end of imaging there was a small amount of ice on the bottom of the camera which quickly melted away..so inside the camera it should have been close to zero.
I shall get the post up in the next few days...
Cheers Gary

mark curtis
06-12-2006, 07:05 AM
I was wondering about this myself, I started using a Nikon D-50 in the summer and had some noisy shots. I'll keep you all posted on my cold shot results. It's winter over here right now and it go's below zero alot.