PDA

View Full Version here: : D&G 6" f15 update

anj026
20-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Hi Everyone

I have had a bit of shed time recently and come up with a better tube cradle arrangement and a plywood ring mount for finder scope. The tube cradle is mostly 30mm jarrah (West. Aust. hardwood) with 1/4" threaded rod and wingnuts. I used 25x10mm adhesive foam tape to pad the rings (squares?!). This works well so far. The plywood ring for the finderscope serves two purposes, it puts the finder in a better position and also makes a great handle for slewing the scope around. Much better than grabbing the diagonal.:)

Orion
20-11-2006, 07:37 PM
That telescope is truly a work of art.
A sturdy telescope that will last a lifetime.

Congratulations Andy.

iceman
20-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Wow, that looks amazing.. shame it's a refractor ;)

Great stuff Andy.

anj026
21-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Thanks guys

I hope I can inspire others to have a go at making their own astro stuff. I am no expert just building on experience as I go. I have made many mistakes, I used to have zero experience. All my ideas and inspiration come from other amateurs that have taken the time to share their work in books, magazines and the internet. If anyone out there is considering making their own telescope then all I can say is go for it. Make the most of available resources such as city and Uni libraries to look up old astronomy magazines and books, look through second hand book shops, search the internet, join your local astronomy group. Set your goals and aim high. Most little stuff ups can be easily hidden or turned to advantage with creative thinking. A big booboo at the very least is a lesson learnt that will make you a better ATM (amateur telescope maker) next time.

Go on have a go!