PDA

View Full Version here: : hole?

Harpspitfire
11-11-2006, 10:45 PM
i got a 12" dob, the mirror should be cleaned- i really dont like to take it out- i was wondering if i have it out this time if cutting a 6"X6" hole would be ok- like a cleaning port- i thought i could re-enforce the opening with metal strips and then put a hinged access door over it?- john

ballaratdragons
11-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Harp, which part don't you like about taking the mirror out? There are ways to simplify it.

Harpspitfire
12-11-2006, 02:14 AM
i guess just the time involved, i know thats being lazy, but i just wondered if anyone ever did this

iceman
12-11-2006, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't recommend doing it like that..

Taking the mirror out is really not difficult, and you'll do a much better (and safer) job of cleaning it.

Of course you'll have to recollimate afterwards, but that's a skill that ever newt owner should learn as well.

ving
12-11-2006, 10:55 AM
you are much better off taking it apart and properly cleaning it. if its just a bit of dust you can ignore it.

Dennis
12-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi John

My recommendation would be to bite the bullet and if the mirror needs cleaning, take it out and clean it. Trying to cut a hole in the tube with the mirror in situ may cause swarf or dust to drop into the tube. Also, the mechanical violence from clamping, cutting and finishing off the operation may well require you to re-collimate anyhow?

Collimating and cleaning optics can be quite daunting but once you have done it, the fear and mystery are removed and you will be surprised and easy it is the next time round. If you have any local astro-friends who have done this already, hook up with them for some moral support.

Cheers

Dennis