PDA

View Full Version here: : Wireless Scope

nightsky
10-11-2006, 08:36 PM
G'Day
I'm not very savvy on this so please excuse my ignorance, I received a email from Starry Night regarding there software upgrade package,and I noticed while on there web site this wireless thingie
http://store.starrynightstore.com/sn-bwtc-1.html
apart from taking long exposure pic's of a object,while sitting in the comfort of a warm room, what else can it do? As it seems to me if you wanted to look at a object close up, you would still have to walk over to the Telescope and look through eyepiece, or can you zoom in on a object using the software, do I have a got it all wrong. any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Arthur

monoxide
11-11-2006, 01:17 PM
im no expert but id say thats just a wireless adapter for a goto scope, meaning that you could control it from a distance, i cant see a mention of ccd control on that page though. handy accessory for those that dont have a laptop, use software on your pc to tell it where to go then go have a look.

the other way to have a wireless setup is to have your scope/camera plugged into a laptop then use windows 'remote desktop' to remotely control the laptop and camera.

nightsky
11-11-2006, 02:12 PM
G'Day Monoxide,
Thanks for your reply m8, I thought that would be the case,I forgot to mention the ccd,there program like many others control the scope so I guess it's more for the taking long exposure shots in comfort, but for people like me it would just be another toy to play with ;)

DaveO
11-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Nightsky, I have one of the BlueStar adapters you saw.

I haven't used it a lot yet, but it works like this. You plug it into the AUX port of your scope's hand controller (I have a SkyWatcher Goto EQ6, which uses the Skyscan HC). You put the HC into RS232 mode, and then can control the scope from your PC running various software packages.

I have DeepSky2000 and once the scope is aligned, you can have the software send the scope where you want it to go. The advantage comes when you have a list of objects that you have planned out for the night and you can just select them one by one. Easier than using the HC to do the job.

It doesn't let you make a CCD wireless, however next year Belkin will be releasing a wireless USB hub, which in theory would then allow you to control any USB device (eg CCD camera, focuser motor etc) from the remote PC.

As to changing eyepieces, I suspect that we will all still have to brave the cold for that one for quite some time! :lol:

nightsky
11-11-2006, 08:55 PM
G'Day Davo,
Thanks very much for your reply, I knew there had to be a catch sounded to good to be true :P and I thought I could just sit inside enjoying the warmth of the fire and view any object I wanted to duhh!!. I knew you would have to change the eyepiece. I was trying to save the walk over to the eyepiece. btw I already have a programme that controls the Telescope using the Laptop, so I guess it's still on with the winter cloths.:) Thanks m8

DaveO
11-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Hey, no reason to stop dreaming!!! Hasn't stopped me!

nightsky
11-11-2006, 09:07 PM
G'Day Davo,
Yeah dreaming is right, I think I was away with the fairies at the bottom of the garden,:P expecting to be inside (padded cell) would be more like it.Have to stop drinking that cheap Irish whiskey:)

ballaratdragons
11-11-2006, 10:15 PM
We won't really be content until we as amatuers can afford to have a scope that is controlled totally from inside the house or Warm room.

Opens up the roof, take the dust cover off, aligns an object, takes the image, puts the cap back on and closes the roof. All while we are asleep in our warm beds :lol:

Too much automation takes the fun out of it :thumbsup:

I'll be happy just to GoTo, and image from in my warm room. I'll brave the cold (or mozzies) to take the cap off and put it back on. :lol:

Geez, you can sure tell that I have practically given up using my Dob base can't you :whistle:

nightsky
11-11-2006, 11:03 PM
G'Day,
:lol: so funny you hit the nail right on the head.I'm getting so lazy I have a goto scope already,but looking for more automation ,who was it that done away with slavery, go have someone rough them up :P and I'm ashamed to say it, but I have a 18" dob sitting in the cabin with a Sky Commander,now thats pure laziness.

monoxide
11-11-2006, 11:23 PM
how about i give the dob some usage lol

also if you already have the scope + ccd hooked upto your laptop, why not setup windows remote desktop? thats exactly what id be doing, especially for long exposure ccd work, you wouldnt have to leave the house till you wanted to pack up.

nightsky
11-11-2006, 11:28 PM
G'Day Monoxide,
lol if you lived close by, it would be a maybe, but your a long way from here :P Central Coast in Gosford area NSW, I'm not into photography yet,thats going to be my next step