PDA

View Full Version here: : Passwords

csb
24-07-2016, 11:03 PM
How do you record your various passwords to websites? Or other tricks to remember what password for each site?

I use Locknote to write my passwords in a list 3 columns: website / username / password.

The actual passwords are in an abbreviated form to make it difficult for others. My Locknote is also backed-up.

Locknote is a simple text file (like Notepad) that is itself password protected. It is open source freeware and gets great reviews especially in reference to difficult to hack past the password encryption.

Like many others, I have several common passwords. My banking password is changed every 2 months for extra security. I am also planning to regularly change other passwords, ie email, work, on regular basis too.

troypiggo
25-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Keepass portable on a USB stick:
http://keepass.info/

csb
25-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Keepass seems to be same type of app as Locknote - a file that is password protected.

My post is to get some other ideas on password usage because with Locknote I am often having to open it to remember a password. So looking for a better way.

Passwords is a sensitive topic so understandably some people won't post here about it.

el_draco
25-07-2016, 01:55 PM
OneNote is very good as is an Excel spreadsheet, both password protected

michaellxv
25-07-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm using Password Safe. Similar concept, needs a password to unlock it then you can access your passwords.

One of the most important function of these tools is the random password generator. I don't know most of my passwords, they are random and long and painful if you ever do have to type them in. You use the tool to copy and paste them when you login. When you close the tool it should clear the paste buffer.

You can set expiry times to remind you to change them, store URL's and notes associated with the password. I use it for those password recovery questions.

People do know you can lie with these questions as long as you save the question and answer so you can repeat it. I have used random strings in some cases.

Michael.

multiweb
25-07-2016, 09:43 PM
I find it very dangerous to store passwords in clear, no matter how secure you may think it is. The only way to do true authentication is to match an already stored and encrypted password with one you type, that gets encrypted one way at the time you do the match. So the safest place for your clear password is inside your head no where else. You don't need to change your passwords often or even use completely different passwords for everything. Your passwords need to mean something to you. So use mnemonic aids to remember how a password applies to what you are trying to protect. Don't use short words. Use short sentences. Use a mix of numbers, characters and symbols that create a pattern you can identify as a meaningful reminder to you. Offset them on your keyboards one way or the other to add complexity or insert a random character into a random position. Work out a system that works for you. Never store or write down your passwords. Remember them and type them every time you need to use them. Otherwise you'll get hacked.

csb
25-07-2016, 11:09 PM
That seems to be it, Marc. Develop a p'word system that you can store in your own head.

All the family/friends I have spoken to use apps like onenote & keepass. Some still write them down on paper.

But really, as Marc pointed out, none are as secure as one's own head. So I've got some thinking to do :thumbsup:

ZeroID
26-07-2016, 01:06 PM
The keyboard is your friend ..

Easy example of an 8 character password that is easy to remember but hard to crack.

^yHnMjU7 ..

Diagonal rows using upper and lower case, down and back up.
Or

cVdFeR3$

figure that one out for yourself..

Longer

#eDcVfR4%tGb

3 rows ..

All you have to remember is the start key (Upper Case 3 = #) in the last case.

I handle about 12 passwords by memory and if I need to write them down I just put the site or location and the first letter of the string. Enough of a prompt to get the rest.

leon
26-07-2016, 02:17 PM
In your head sure is the best option, I don't seem to have any problem with that, however my dear wife dose.

Leon

csb
26-07-2016, 09:02 PM
I know someone that does use keyboard layout to make some codes, possibly similar to your examples Brent.

I am improving my approach to internet security which prompted this thread. I already ditched free antivirus and now use payware - hopefully it is a REAL increase in security.

ZeroID
27-07-2016, 10:46 AM
AVG Free is still good, updates and works well but it's becoming a bit of a nag with 'Buy Upgrade' messages.
Our ISP provides free McAfee for I think, 3 home PC's.
Touch wood, by being careful I've been lucky so far with viruses.