PDA

View Full Version here: : Next scope purchase

matt
05-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Still considering my next scope purchase.

Was wondering whether my Skywatcher EQ6 would be able to handle this OTA or whether it's time to step up to a G-11 or something else?

http://www.stellaroptical.com/newt-mn86.htm

Looks to be an optically excellent scope but would it be a real step forward given the marginally extra aperture of the 9.25?

I'll be looking to use it mainly for astrophotography (planets and DSO) and think the 1/8th to 1/10th wave optics will offer an improvement?

I've also been told its a very nice visual instrument.

Starkler
05-11-2006, 12:47 PM
For much less money you could build an optically superior scope in standard newtonian form.
Say an 8" f6 Royce conical mirror with a high spec secondary. The lack of a corrector plate will allow air flow and give better thermal performance.

matt
05-11-2006, 12:49 PM
There's no way I'm heading down the DIY path:lol:

Also, doesn't the corrector in this Mak-newt help with removing aberrations?

The scope comes with built in fans.

So.... back to my original question. Would the EQ6 handle this scope?

g__day
05-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Without the weight of the OTA specified how could one tell if its within the capability of an eq6, other than say it doesn't look particularily heavy for a scope in its design class.

Can your EQ6 give you the pointing and tracking ability within autoguided PEC limits you require for your astrophotographic targets? If so yes, if not, does the G-11 or do you need better still? What's the tracking precision you need or are targeting? What level of astrophotographic targets do you aspire to?

iceman
05-11-2006, 01:37 PM
It's unsual to find an astrophotographer who uses the same scope for both planetary and DSO work.

It's likely you might need to decide which area you want to focus on, because the scope and camera decisions all stem from that.

matt
05-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Mike.

Being an 8" f6 it is really in the middle as far a f ratio goes, so is likely to perfrom quite nicely on both, although I understand what you are saying.

It's why I'm also likely to add a refractor to my line-up as well at some stage.

g_day. The weight is specified in the link. It's toward the upper end of the mounts capabilities I suspect. Am hoping fellow EQ6 owners will chime in on that one.

Yep. The EQ6 has a port for an autoguider and features PEC.

As for targets? The usual: galaxies, globs, nebs etc etc

g__day
05-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Sorry - missed the 22kgs - that's a fair bit for an EQ6 for astrophotography. As stated before - what sort of tracking precision +/- 20 PEC for a EQ6, +/- 8 for a Vixen Atlux, +/- 7 for a G11, +/- 5 for a VMA 150, +/- 3.5 for a NJP, +/- 3 for a ZX4, +/- 2 arc seconds for a high end Astrophysics of Mountain Instruments brand, +/- 1 for a Paramount ME (all mounts that could handle your specified weight load and capability range) etc... So how much pointing accuracy do you desire and can afford?

matt
05-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Good question g_day.

I'll need to look into price and specs.

I've only gone as far as to consider which mounts will accept the payload I'm considering.

Most mounts in the $3500 to $10000 range seem to be capable of delivering anything I'm ever likely to ask of a mount.

But I can happily do without the precision and cost of the ME!!
:D

g__day
05-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Me too. I'm kinda on the same journey you are, the mount rating thread I did ages ago still holds valid.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8135&highlight=mounts

matt
05-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the link:thumbsup:

Robert_T
07-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Hi Matt, you might try Gary Beal. I think he has/had a MN76 the one down from what you are considering... might have some tips for you.

cheers,

matt
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey Rob!!!

Nice to hear from you, mate:)

Where you been?

You just disappeared as soon as the planets went bye byes!:rofl:

Robert_T
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Yeh Matt, I've been on the other side of the Sun for a couple of months, but starting to emerge into the earthlight once again:D

cheers,