PDA

View Full Version here: : Review: D&G 6" f/15 Achromat Lens

iceman
01-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi all

Andy Jackson has kindly written a review on the D&G 6" f/15 Achromat Lens. You can read the review on the IceInSpace Reviews page, or directly by clicking on the link below:

D&G 6" f/15 Achromat Lens (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=41,340,0,0,1,0)

Thanks to Andy for submitting the review!

If you'd like to contribute a review or article for IceInSpace, please contact me.

iceman
01-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Article uploaded.

Dennis
01-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Hi Andy

What a beautiful telescope! The design and finish look fantastic – congratulations on constructing this unusual instrument. Great write up too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Will the use of good quality marine ply, with its alternating cross grain structure, minimize any warping or shrinkage of the wood that may affect optical collimation?

Cheers

Dennis

[1ponders]
01-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Beautiful job Andy. I can tell by the way you write you have a passion for your hobby. Congratulations on a fantastic job well done :clap:

How do you find the Synta/WO replacement focuser? I'm in the process of replacing my Orion one with the 10:1 WO one.

mercedes_sl1970
01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
What a lovely looking telescope - very impressive craftsmanship. I was wondering if you could post some information about the mount (you appear to have also made)?

Thanks

Andrew

anj026
01-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback. I will try to answer your questions.

Dennis
Marine plywood has much greater dimensional stability than straight timber of the same given dimensions. Look for British Standard BS1088 or Australian Standard AS2272. These standards will ensure there are no internal voids in the plywood and the adhesive used is water resistant. All exposed surfaces should be sealed with paint or varnish to minimise moisture absorption.

[1ponders]
The WO synta focuser is great and I recommend it totally. When I got mine it was only available in single speed. WO have since released a 2 speed upgrade kit but I don't think it is needed on a long focal ratio. Fine focus becomes more critical with shorter focal ratios. The focuser is rotatable and adjustable for feel and the quick release finder bracket works well.

mercedes-sl1970
The mount is machined out solid of brass stock to 130mm OD. The altitude shaft is about 30mm stainless steel. I had access to a metal lathe and bench drill that could handle a 30mm bit. A qualified machinist would cringe at my methods but I achieved my goal of smooth motions and no slop. Like the rest of the telescope it is not perfect but is an acceptable compromise and a work in progress!

Hope this helps
regards

g__day
01-11-2006, 02:07 PM
None of the images load when I go to the review!

janoskiss
01-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Wow that looks fantastic! :eyepop: Would like to see some bigger photos. ;)

astronut
01-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Andy, Great review and even greater scope. My passion since 1970 has always been refractors and still is, even though I went over to the reflective side earlier this year for the aperture of course.:lol: I still pull out the Unitron 4" every now and then.:D

g__day
01-11-2006, 08:32 PM
When I try and look at the review I get

sql error : insert into phpwcms_article_read_count values(now(),340,41)

and rather than any picture just

Click to Enlarge
Telescope and Pier
- but no hyperlink?

Dennis
01-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Puzzling? Just for info, the hyperlinks worked for me at 6:51am and they still continue to open for me (on the same PC) at 7:48pm same day.

Cheers

Dennis

wavelandscott
01-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Wow, what a neat scope and project. Very nice work!

anj026
02-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah refractors are cool but aperture rules. :thumbsup: I lust after a big apo but don't think I will satisfy that urge without winning lotto. In the meantime there is lots of fun to be had without going over budget. Still, dreams are free! :)

Andy

PS. I am not sure what is happening with the photo links in the review, my computer skills are limited. :help:

netwolf
03-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Absolutely stunning piece of work. You should consider making them professionally.

Regards

matt
03-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Very nice Andy.

An obvious labour of love and very nice craftsmanship.

Hope it gives you many wonderful nights of viewing:thumbsup: