PDA

View Full Version here: : Trouble getting things

Harb
25-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi is it just me or is trying to get things related to astronomy becoming a hassle.
I won't name any particular store, because they are all the same!!! (in Sydney anyway)
It seems simple items are always "on order" or "we are waitng for a shipment" etc etc........very frustrating.
I have been told by 2 different businesses a month ago a simple item would be here this month, only to be now told, "sorry it is on order and will be maybe a month" !!
This is not intended to be a flame out for the various shops, but I was wondering if I would be better to shop offshore as I do with all my work stuff, as I know for sure it would be heaps faster, and most of the time cheaper.
Is astronomy on a downcline in Aust, or are the shops just slack and only like to order items, not stock them to reduce overheads ?

cheers
John

janoskiss
25-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Shops get things in via ship to save on cost which is why things can take months. If you need something in a hurry that is not available buying from OS might be your only option. The local market is small but we are lucky there is a fair bit of competition. It does mean though that dealers cannot compete unless they minimise their expenses, e.g., by using slow shipping IMO.

Ric
25-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi John, I dont think that there is a decline in Amateur Astronomy or that the stores are slack, I think that it is more to do with the turnover rate.
I would hate to have on hand 20 units of item X at $1000 each and only sell one every six months or so. I would prefer to order as required or keep a minimum number on hand.
Personally I have had a good run when ordering things, they have always been in stock and have only ever had a wait of a month on two items.
If possible, I like to shop onshore also and support Australian business.

cheers

Harb
25-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I suppose I am just impatient, but quite a few like me come up with this idea about something and want it straight away.
I am not talking about weird things either, but having had a couple of retail bussinesses over the years, I always knew that if you didn't have the basic items available for purchase straight away, I would run the risk of the customer finding another way or just lossing interest and doing something else, such as Ebay or web based purchasing.
I really do suport the local shops though, but it is frustating having to wait for items that should be fairly standard, such as flip mirrors and other standard acc's such as camera adaptors etc.

I wonder how much stuff is brought in from overseas by Amateur astronomers.

cheers
Johh

casstony
25-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I've been waiting on items too - gets a bit annoying after you ring back the third time and the arrival date has been put back again. Also annoying when the shop hasn't got what you want but will not do a deal on a similar but more expensive item. I do think prices are very good on the GSO sourced gear.