PDA

View Full Version here: : Taking Liberties

Andy01
13-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Here's a quick couple of hrs of Ha on NGC 3579 - "Statue of Liberty" Nebula in Carina.

It was so clear last night in Melbourne that I was compelled to make the most of it, so after my primary target had disappeared behind the tree line at 2.30am - I took a potshot at this one - lots of interesting details going on in this region of space.

6x1200 sec Ha 5nm - Might have to revisit this one in full NB soon :)

Cheers
Andy

High res here - http://www.astrobin.com/236192/

strongmanmike
13-01-2016, 03:37 PM
I really like this neb in Ha only

A good start Andy :thumbsup:

Mike

Atmos
13-01-2016, 04:06 PM
There is a lot going on in that image, be really nice when you get some more time on it :)

Placidus
13-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Startlingly deep, Andy. There are subtle bits in the darker regions that just don't show up at all in our shot. Very well done.

alpal
13-01-2016, 06:45 PM
That's nice Andy,
I want to re-do this target with my new scope.
It's one of the most photogenic targets in the sky.

cheers
Allan

Slawomir
13-01-2016, 06:49 PM
The image looks fantastic already Andy :thumbsup:

There seems to be a bit of field rotation though, otherwise it is a winner!

gregbradley
14-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Great shot Andy.
I agree with Mike it can look best in Ha
Colour is a challenge with this one.
Greg

Paul Haese
14-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Good contrast Andy and nice framing. Detail is also very good. The only thing letting the image down is the star shapes across the entire frame. Looks to me like a combination of tilt and as Sauvi suggested field rotation. It is one of my favourite objects. When I imaged it I really liked how the two different nebulae show different colours based on the amount of intervening dust.

Andy01
14-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks Mike - will endeavour to go deeper in Ha soon. :thumbsup:

Cheers Colin, I've added it to my growing list of targets ;)

Thanks M&T, a few tweaks in Startools helps bring out the feint stuff. :)

Cheers Allan, I look forward to seeing what your new rig can deliver :thumbsup:

Thanks Slaw. I doubt it is field rotation as the phd graph was very flat, more likely a bit of coma and tilt from my flattener/reducer needing an adjustment after my trip to Tassie.

Thanks for the heads up Greg :thumbsup:

Thanks Paul - Yes it is an intriguing object. Please see my comments above re:tilt/coma etc as well.
I had a bit of a google but couldn't find your version online, maybe you could post a link?

Thanks for your feedback everyone!
Andy

Paul Haese
14-01-2016, 11:56 AM
I don't normally like to put up a link to one of my images in someone elses thread as I think that is a bit cheeky, but since you have asked me I will this time. It is near the bottom of my gallery now.

Click here (http://paulhaese.net/NGC3576.html) for image. It is only 210 minutes of integration (before I sorted automation) and is on my re-image list. Maybe this year I'll pick it up.

Hope that will act as a reasonable guide for you.

multiweb
14-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Really nice shot Andy. Very deep indeed. :thumbsup:

Andy01
15-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Thanks Paul, that's a very nice image - interesting that our framing is so similar too :) Think I'll be trying for full NB on this one though.

Cheers Marc - hope to improve it further as more clear skytime permits. :thumbsup: