PDA

View Full Version here: : [SOLD] Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Swarovision Binoculars - PRICE DROP

Crescendo
03-10-2015, 02:41 AM
Hi all,

For sale is a set of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Swarovision Binoculars.

My reason for selling is that I am now focusing more on astronomy rather bird-watching.

-----

Description:

From Amazon:

"Made by Swarovski Optik, these EL 42 binoculars features the company's signature Swarovision technology for optimal image resolution over the entire field of view. The technology features a combination of field flattener lenses and high-definition optics that yields outstanding contrast, even when you're using the binoculars at dusk. Even the finest structures and smallest details are reproduced with razor-sharp clarity. The fluoride-containing HD lenses minimize color-fringing for contrast-rich images with razor-sharp outlines."

Some features:

8x magnification, 42 mm aperture
HD fluoride lenses to reduce chromatic aberration, flat over the entire field
Waterproof, nitrogen-filled
Ergonomic design with thumb indentations for one-handed use
20 mm eye relief
Integrated two-stage eye-cup extenders
Lifetime warranty

Basically, Swarovski is a well-known brand in the bird-watching community, and they are highly respected for their optical and mechanical quality.

If I were to make a comparison to astronomical brands, Swarovski is like a Takahashi or Astro-Physics etc.

-----

What you get in this package:

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Swarovision Binoculars
Pelican 1400 case
Swarovski Binocular Harness (like a set of suspenders that you wear over your back and shoulders, which is way more comfortable than a standard neck strap)
Desiccant tin for case
Original Swarovski binocular straps and accessories
Instruction manual
Original receipt.

What you don't get:

Original boxes
Original zip-up carry case.

(I threw that stuff away years ago, and the Pelican case is better.)

IMPORTANT: The items in the package will not be divided up! Sorry, but you must buy everything in one go.

-----

Condition:

The condition of the binoculars and all included materials is excellent. Everything is stored in a moisture-free Pelican case when not in use.

Regarding the lenses, optically they are as good as the day I bought them. The view through these binoculars is superb. However, cosmetically, be aware that I have used these binoculars in the field for around two years now. They have been exposed to dew, waterfall spray, and sea spray on multiple occasions. There are no scratches or swirlies on the lens at all, but there are dew watermarks and some streaks from when I have used lens tissue and optical fluid to clean away sea spray and so on. If you are familiar with dew marks on telescope optics you will be familiar with this.

I reiterate, the surface is not damaged or scratched in any way, and the optical quality is the same as when I bought them.

Attached to this post are photos of the lens. Some photos are taken using normal lighting and some use a bright flashlight. As we all know, macro photography and bright light sources always makes lenses and mirrors look worse than they are. That said, I suggest you take the photos for what they are - you be the judge.

Price:

The RRP (recommend retail price) of the binoculars is $2700, the Pelican case is $150 RRP, and the harness is $70 RRP. This package was worth $2920 brand new.

My price is $1990. Buyer pays shipping and insurance.

------
Thanks for reading. :party:

Crescendo
03-10-2015, 02:43 AM
More photos:

Crescendo
03-10-2015, 02:45 AM
Last set of photos:

Crescendo
03-10-2015, 02:48 AM
Also, just to be clear, these are primarily bird-watching and terrestrial binoculars.

They can certainly be used for astronomical use - and do a great job of it - but as always, aperture rules and you may not get the best bang for your buck with only 42 mm.

N1
09-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Never fear. The exit pupil is what matters. These have 5mm, which is just about ideal under fairly good, but less-than-perfect skies. Same as 10x50s but a little less magnification (read: easier to hold steady). I'm sure they do an excellent job when pointed at the sky :thumbsup:

Crescendo
04-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Price drop to $1890 for the package (-$100).

Clive Garland
08-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Hi are these still for sale?