PDA

View Full Version here: : Cheap Tricks...

JohnH
29-09-2006, 09:52 AM
I am sure we all have some of these we can share - here are a couple of mine..

I use a laser pointer on my scope as a finder....but the one I have only has ptt-type switch fitted - they are not rated for continuous use - a couple of minutes is ok and that is all I need. I find a clothes peg fits nicely, all I have to do is rotate it so the jaws engage the switch and voila! Works a treat and lies flush to the OTA when not in use. I selected a suitable high tech, translucent, neon green colour to match the output of the laser...

I picked up a 3-led red torch for $2.50 from a local bargain shop - intended for cyclists it has flash, rotate and continuous modes plus a belt clip and a fitting for attaching to a bike frame - that could be altered to fit tripod...a little bright perhaps and no dimmer but it works for me...

ving
29-09-2006, 12:25 PM
celophane over a $2 torch... i am sure every one has done this :P

wavelandscott
29-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Red fingernail polish over a $1.75 torch...the nail polish was already in the house (I will neither confirm nor deny if it was mine or not) the shade is a "trade secret" ;)

and stubby holder with a couple of splits on the side as a dew shield for my telrad...

ballaratdragons
29-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Excellent thread topic John :thumbsup:

Wow, where do I start? There are soooo many!

Cardboard tube from centre of Cling Wrap as an EP extension tube,
Cardboard Mailing Tube as a finderscope dew shield,
PVC quickfinder,
'Fuel Filter' adaptor for Accufocus to fit Crayford,
and the list goes on . . . .

I have posted somewhere in here many of my 'Steptoe' inventions :lol:

asimov
29-09-2006, 06:56 PM
CG5 polar scope Illuminator shoved into a plastic dew shield on my finder to Illuminate the FOV to see the crosshairs.

A long piece of aluminium attached to the focusser knob to make it a 'fine focusser' 'cos I'm a cheap skate & won't lash out for an electric one.

Ric
29-09-2006, 07:14 PM
I use a Woollies torch and paint the lens with a clear red modelling paint, the type you use for painting tailights on model cars. Usually two or three coats gives you the perfect density to still be able to read and see.

cheers

[1ponders]
29-09-2006, 07:25 PM
You call that cheap Asi, remember this beauty (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3047&d=1121577886)

asimov
29-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Lol...How could I forget that one Paul! he-hee!

ballaratdragons
29-09-2006, 07:48 PM
A 4'x4' cubby-house as an Obsevatory :D

Crosshairs made from my Daughters hair :P

ballaratdragons
29-09-2006, 07:59 PM
and don't forget about the LPG gas bottle mounts for Tube Rings, the Paint can locking ring for rotatable OTA's and for mirror removal and assembly, and the obligatory old useless printer parts as mount drives. :lol:

Lester
29-09-2006, 08:02 PM
3 clutch plates welded together from Caterpillar D4 1956 vintage for counter weights to enable the telescope to balance.

2 foot tangent arm on Dec shaft of EQ mount, reinforced with flat iron droppers welded on edge.

ballaratdragons
29-09-2006, 08:18 PM
1. Muscle-Man counterweights (lots of them!)

2. Using EP's and a cardboard tube as a Toucam lens

3. Turning your Dob springs upside down (free)

ballaratdragons
29-09-2006, 08:42 PM
A poplular one used by many people is the Plastic film canister with a small hole in it!

Also Speaker Magnets as counterweights.

Lee
29-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Velcro everywhere - stick things to other things - cables, hand controllers, lights, nothing is safe from velcro-ing near me! :D

seeker372011
30-09-2006, 01:07 PM
my el-cheapo wedge for my ETX70-
dewshield is the front cover of a plastic folder held with a rubber band
wedge base is an old tv stand

JohnH
17-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Found another one...silica gel crystals placed in panty hose to keep your gear dry (but did you know you can buy it in 1kg bags from C@l#$ for about $8.00, it's sold as "Kitty Litter" it looks like hard, opaque, whitish crystals, some are blue, that's just a deodorant). Costs a lot more $$$ for less KGs in the camera shops....

erick
17-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Any particular brand name of the bag I should look for?? Genuine silica gel!! really?

JohnH
17-05-2007, 02:24 PM
They all seem to have CRYSTAL in the name somewhere...they are the ones that look like whitish/translucent beads. Not clay/clumping type or the organic variety, eg:

http://www.homeshop.com.au/images/p/52/00210752.jpg

Might pay to remove the blue ones (volatiles?) and bake at 150C for an hr before first use....same method can be used to re-activate.

You can also get small amounts for nothing at all if you talk nicely to your local shoe shop....

erick
17-05-2007, 02:54 PM
In years past, I worked in chemical labs and we had plenty of silica gel then in drying tubes etc. and always plenty baking in the oven. I had been thinking of going to a chemical supplier. The bits out of shoe boxes etc. aren't enough
- it sucks up moisture so fast that you need lots of grams to be effective.

Thanks, I'll head to the supermarket!