PDA

View Full Version here: : New Horizons - Brilliant app you should be using NOW

DavidLJ
14-07-2015, 06:57 PM
If you haven't already come across it, there is a really good NASA downloadable program (Mac and PC but not iPad) that simulates the current fly-through of the Pluto system. You see the orientation of the spacecraft and what its cameras are aimed at in real time. It's just like being there as it happens.

The link is

http://eyes.jpl.nasa.gov/eyes-on-pluto.html

At the time of writing this there is only 2 hours 52 minutes to go to closest approach. Pluto and Charon are getting bigger by the minute. So if you want to tag along you'll need to get moving.

David

Matt Wastell
14-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks David - a very exciting hour ahead.......& then the images some time later.
The more I see Pluto the more I believe it should get its planetary status back!

Steffen
15-07-2015, 12:30 AM
I quite enjoyed using the app during the approach, especially watching the use of the four instruments it has on board. As of about 26 minutes after closest approach the REX antenna was pointed at Earth and apparently will remain so for many months to come. It seems the maximum bit rate for uploads to Earth is 4kbps, and the full upload of hi-res imagery and other data is going to take 16 months :scared: (Telstra, all is forgiven)

Another thing I noticed since the upload began is that ALICE (the ultraviolet imaging spectrometer) has been kept on, pointing seemingly nowhere. Would this be used to control the orientation of the craft?