PDA

View Full Version here: : I think I took iinet down?

Bassnut
11-07-2015, 05:19 PM
What are the odds, is it possible?.
For many years I have used an ozemail address, now owned by iinet, never been down, no trouble.
Today, I opened this account on a new PC and it started to sync. The file is some 6Gb, 25000 messages. 15mins later the sync fails. Thinking, OK Ive exceeded some download limit, tomorrow Ill be OK again.
Then I attempt to open iinets home page and I get a database error and sometimes site not available, iinet has crashed!.
I try mobile on 4G (thinking they banned my IP add for such a dodgy large transfer) same.

Could I have crashed iinet?.

LewisM
11-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Doubt it. I am on Westnet, which is owned by IINet and unless they use different protocols etc, I have no issues.

traveller
11-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Maybe the snoops were looking for metadata ;)
But seriously, a file that size is easily handled by ISP without having any troubles.

Bassnut
11-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Yes, it is a big call, but iinet is still down in my corner of Sydney anyway thats for sure. I feel a bit powerfull in an odd way, seems more than coincidence :-)

Bassnut
11-07-2015, 06:37 PM
This BTW is the message I get.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Reading from the stream has failed.

Source Error:

An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Source File: C:\IPE\Web\IPE.Web.1.1.1498-master-1679\Content\web.config Line: 151

This message (from my browser from iinet, not my PC) copied from a different PC. Is this an error on my side, or iinet?

FlashDrive
11-07-2015, 06:43 PM
ooooh Fred ... a big black limo will be turning into your driveway shortly ...:P

gregbradley
11-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Either way good work Fred.

That geek in their ads is not exactly popular here.

Greg.

GeoffW1
11-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Haha,

I have had the knock on the door for real - moronic paranoia it was. In this case I suspect coincidence.

Cheers

tlgerdes
11-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Description:

Customer Tools
Customers may be unable to access account services using the toolbox interface. Affected customers will be unable to make changes to their services using the toolbox interface.
Customer Tools
Customers attempting to browse to iiNet corporate websites may experience slow loading times and/or timeout error messages.
Customer Tools
Customers may be unable to access account services using the "My Account" interface. Affected customers will be unable to make changes to their services using the "My Account" interface.
Email
Customers may be unable to load webmail. Affected customers may experience timeouts or errors when sending or receiving email via a mail client.

Technical Summary:
Customers may be experiencing issues with access to iiNet corporate websites, and online tools such as Webmail and Toolbox. Some idiot called Fred V decided to download 6GB of old email.

Resolution:
Engineers are investigating this matter and working to restore access as soon as possible as a priority. We are endeavoring to locate Fred and have him shot to prevent a repeat of his actions.

Distribution:******** Public
Category:************ 1-major
Affected Locations:** Australia,*
Affected Services:*** Company Internal, Toolbox, Corporate Site, MyAccount, Webmail,*
Commencement:*********Saturday, July 11, 2015 13:30:09
Estimated Return:*****Saturday, July 11, 2015 23:00:00

Please be advised that all Faults are lodged in WST (Western*
Standard Time) unless a specific time zone is stated within the Fault*
description.

If you have any questions about this fault, please reply to this email.

Bassnut
11-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Excellent, thanks Trevor. And, oi, listen, email is my precious easily searchable database in one file of just about every interaction ive ever had with my customers, not "stupid old email". Its a gold mine of tech stuff, contracts, pricing, promises, lies... everything.

raymo
11-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Westnet, which I use, is down, in my area at least.
raymo

Wavytone
12-07-2015, 12:15 AM
Unlikely - many users have regularly downloaded whole operating systems larger than that - starting with mac users (OS X).

Steffen
12-07-2015, 12:50 AM
But not from some IMAP or webmail server. And look, they're running Windows on those servers. Case closed. :P

tlgerdes
12-07-2015, 08:49 AM
????

Iinets email servers don't run on windows, they run dovecot on Linux for pop3 and imap

tlgerdes
12-07-2015, 10:34 AM
I know exactly how you feel Fred, that's why I run my own email server. 33000 messages received 5500 sent, going back to 2010 and my wife is about the same. I don't have to delete anything!

Bassnut
12-07-2015, 10:51 AM
I've archived up to 3mths ago now. Moving to outlook 360 is a nightmare. Stupid thing takes some 5 mins to sync every sen/receive,even with the 3 accounts cut right down.hrs searching on the net, no answers. You expect the latest app and new fast PC would be a breath of fresh air, nup,life sucks and then you die.

Steffen
12-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Look at the location of that config file in the error message Fred got.

Octane
12-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Wouldn't the source file be local?

H

Visionoz
12-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Probably Fred's MSO 360 has done indeed a 360 degree about-face! Never have found MSO to handle IMAP smoothly at all times; best to go with Thunderbird if you're using iiNet's mailservers as your filing system for 25000 mails! :P:scared3:

Cheers
Bill

tlgerdes
13-07-2015, 09:00 AM
"iiNet broadband customers in New South Wales had a rough ride over the weekend, facing long service interruptions as their internet provider struggled to mitigate against a large distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack.

One iiNet representative explained (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2423334&p=6�) on Saturday via the Whirlpool broadband user forum that the outages were "due to a large volume of external traffic directed towards iiNet Group service".

Another representative confirmed (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2423334&p=4�) that the issue was caused by a DDoS, but did not provide any further details such as where the attack came from, or its volume. The outages plagued iiNet customers sporadically over Saturday and Sunday.

iiNet's fault notice (http://www.iinet.net.au/status/fault.php?id=4158277) acknowledged the problems, saying some customers were unable to access websites and check email. Netphone customers were also hit by the outage, and were unable to make or receive calls.
The DDoS appears to have taken out iiNet's Domain Name System (DNS) servers, as customers reported on Whirlpool that they were able to connect to sites if they used Google's free public resolvers.

iiNet's broadband in NSW and 3G data services nationwide were also out last week (http://www.itnews.com.au/News/406165,hardware-failure-hits-iinet-broadband-3g-data.aspx) for a large number of customers, due to an unspecified hardware fault.

Copyright © iTnews.com.au (http://www.itnews.com.au/) . All rights reserved."

Kal
14-07-2015, 11:17 PM
I've been with iinet for a decade now and the quality of the adsl service has been pretty crap lately, with problems, slow downloads, or complete loss of service. http://www.speedtest.net/ also shows it to have some of the slowest download speeds in sydney of the major ISP's:

TOP ISP'S

ISP'S 16 ISP'S IN SYDNEY

1.Optus

Mbps26.14
2.Telcoinabox Pty Ltd

Mbps22.33
3.TPG Internet

Mbps20.92
4.Exetel

Mbps15.86
5.Telstra

Mbps14.88
6.Vodafone Australia

Mbps14.2
7.Xponent, LLC

Mbps12.65
8.iiNet

Mbps11.95
9.Pacnet Services (Japan) Corp.

Mbps9.28
10.M2 Telecommunications Group

Mbps8.86
11.iPrimus

Mbps8.58
12.iPrimus

Mbps7.3
13.Dodo

Mbps6.82
14.SpinTel

Mbps5.89
15.ACTIV8ME

Mbps5.88
16.vividwireless

Mbp

PCH
16-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Oh wow, Even the slowest of these is twice as fast as I get with Telstra 8k from the CBD here in Perth!

On a great day which is very rare, 3mbps is tops, - but mostly it comes and goes and reaches as slow as 200kbps download and 50kbps upload.

And 'yes' this is an adsl2+ connection!

Go figure, - how pathetic is that for a capital city and so close to the CBD?