PDA

View Full Version here: : Immersed in the Lagoon redo and more data

gregbradley
10-07-2015, 04:32 PM
From last night. Ha of the Lagoon Nebula. Part 1 of a 2 panel mosaic incorporating the Trifid. I first posted a crop of this and found there was no tilt issue all the stars were round to the corner. It was a CCDstack registration error where the CCDISP plugin did not register several images for some reason, perhaps because each file is 32mb and there were 34 of them!. I used FFT this time and got a perfect registration and stars are round to the corners which makes me happy - PMX just needed tweaking and a decent Tpoint polar alignment and get around the T-Point software errors at present.

I have the rest of the narrowband data and some LRGB. I plan to get the rest of the data over the next few clear nights. The AP RHA is sharp as and it puts pressure on making sure everything else is perfect.

Of interest are those little streaky tendrils near the bottom a bit to the right. I have only seen those before on Paul's recent Trifid/Lagoon image.

I most likely will add some deep data to this next week as well to see what is really there and how far it all goes.

http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/160694150/large regular size

http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/160694150/original large size

Greg.

LewisM
10-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Nice image Greg, but a question: is there tilt in your system? I notice sharp stars and nebulosity until the bottom third, when it almost seemed like my eyes went blurry a bit, and very slight elongation is noticeable.

Or is it just me?

But DAYEM that RH is sharp!

gregbradley
10-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Yes there is a bit. I am waiting on a new filter wheel on its way to me as the camera doesn't sit flat in the slightly damaged one I am using. I'll be repairing it once the new one arrives. Apart from that the image is sharp. I cropped it a bit more to highlight the supersharp bits.

Greg.

Placidus
10-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Very nice dust lane across the Hourglass. Also the dark features are very crisp and nicely presented against the general glow.

Paul Haese
10-07-2015, 06:30 PM
The detail in the core of the nebula is pretty good. Some slight elongation in the less bright stars. Is this done prior to the adjustment you have made Greg? If not maybe you have one or two subs that are bad.

The lower half is noticeable. When is the filter wheel going to arrive? I understand how much of a pain this sort of thing can be. Can drive one balmy.

RickS
10-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Great details and a nice 3D look, Greg!

topheart
10-07-2015, 07:00 PM
I can see the potential for great images ahead once the equipment is totally at your mercy Greg!!
Awesome details in the central area!!!
Cheers,
Tim

gregbradley
11-07-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks Mike. Its panel 1 of a panel Lagoon /Trifid mosaic. I took some more last night after a surprise of a clear night after late rain.

I looked at some of the subs again. They are all perfect so it must have been either a failed registration or a dud sub in there. I am doing it again Yes this was after the adjustment and round stars are now routine. A new filter wheel should be here next week anyway and then I repair this one and use both on scopes then add AO's.

Cheers Rick. Its the most detail I have ever gotten out of the core areas.

Thanks Tim. I am getting on top of it. I guess we all share the fine tuning of the equipment routine and getting it performing at its best. It can take a little while sometimes.

I am currently redoing this one and adding last nights data. I also have narrowband data for this now.

Greg.

Geoff45
11-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Very nice and sharp Greg. Pity about the tilt. I know from experience that it can be an extremely frustrating problem.
Geoff

multiweb
11-07-2015, 12:16 PM
That looks very good Greg. Gotta be happy with that. :thumbsup:

gregbradley
11-07-2015, 01:00 PM
As it turned out it wasn't tilt like I initially thought. The subs all had round stars to the corners. CCDstack didn't register them all properly and because I was looking mostly at the centre area where it did register them properly I missed it. Then when I saw it I assumed it was tilt as I have had some of that.

Thanks Mac. The RHA is very sharp and its put pressure on making sure everything else in the system is working at peak.

codemonkey
11-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Looking awesome, Greg!

Geoff45
11-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Try PixInsight?
Geoff

gregbradley
11-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Thanks Lee. Its an awesome scope so getting maximum out of it is an ongoing process but I am largely on top of it now.

Hmm, yeah I may have to. Its not the first time I've had registration problems with CCDstack and I know Paul has as well.

Greg.

LewisM
11-07-2015, 03:37 PM
With CCDStack, do an manual stack with Star Snap - select a couple stars in the bottom, a couple in top and the final as your rotation point. ALWAYS fixes registration issues whenever I have them. If auto selection fails, just manually input them. Simple

gregbradley
11-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Yes I have done that as well but have still had failures.

I ended up using FFT because it has a scaling option that seems to be the aspect that fails.

Greg.

LewisM
11-07-2015, 03:45 PM
FFT always fails for me. A Bunch of errors. We have had this discussion before ;)

gregbradley
11-07-2015, 03:54 PM
How about that. Well this time it did work but I wouldn't bet it would work every time. Some times I find doing a manual move helps when a few images are out of whack too much.

Greg.