PDA

View Full Version here: : A good cheap drop

LewisM
07-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Been trying a few Merlots while the wife and Daughter No1 gallivant all over Europe and I need to wind down after a hectic day with Daughter No2.

I was drinking an old favourite - Jacobs Creek Classic Merlot, but decided to give the Smith and Hooper 2013 Merlot a try.

Hook, line and sinker!

WOW!

Currently it is $16 a bottle at my local, reduced from $19.99. It is worth every single penny - delicious, slightly peppery, and it's like Pringles: once you pop, you can't stop.

Once the rig is up and humming by itself tonight, I shall enjoy cracking open another.

casstony
07-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Kirkland Cab-Sav from Costco is inoffensive for the value conscious :)

blink138
07-07-2015, 09:32 PM
lewis i find myself constantly looking for the alcohol content before i buy any wine, australian or not
it is extremely hard to find an aussie wine under 14.5% and can often exceed 15+%!................. this is getting up to fortified levels for goodness sake!!
it would be very interesting to see how much alcohol content has gone up over the last twenty years for the same producer, vineyard and grape?
pat

LewisM
08-07-2015, 08:45 AM
I haven't got any empties available (all in the recycling bin), but there is a distinct difference in alcohol content between Jacob's Creek and Smith and Hooper. It's palatable.

I could drink JC all night and not feel much if any "buzz" - it is the reason it is my default bottle. The S&H sure tickles the senses within 2 glasses.

Both seem well purified and balanced. If JC had just a hint more tannin taste, it'd be the winner.

rustigsmed
08-07-2015, 09:02 AM
this:

http://www.yellowtailwine.com/our-wines/[yellow-tail]-wines/big-bold-red/
(if you can find it anywhere).

ehhh can't get the link to work properly. Yellow tail big bold red. best red under $10 by far!!