PDA

View Full Version here: : Maxthon Browser for Windows XP

Renato1
29-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Just a note to anyone still running Windows XP on old computers, my two have started misbehaving badly when on the internet with the more popular browsers. Chrome keeps getting stuck and keeps prompting me to kill pages that have become unresponsive. Firefox and Avant browser keep stuffing up, always telling me that plugincontainer.exe has to close - and stuffing up all my opened tabs. I've tried every remedy for this that I could find on Google, but to no avail.

So I went looking for new browsers, and I tried using Torch Browser, but it had similar problems. Finally I tried Maxthon browser, and it works fine. It was easy enough to export Bookmarks from my other browsers to a file, and then import them from that file to Maxthon. And pretty easy to make Maxthon function similarly to my old browsers.

Has anybody else had similar problems, or found other browsers that also work well on XP?
Regards,
Renato

LewisM
29-06-2015, 10:04 PM
We used Maxthon for many years without issue. I think it is just a hacked IE anyway, but with significant security improvements.

Haven't run an XP machine for around 3 years now, so I can't help. My desktop is sitting in a box just in case (runs XP SP2)

Renato1
30-06-2015, 03:25 AM
Thanks for your input.
Maxthon also came installed on my Lenovo phone. I was having trouble getting other browsers to sync their bookmarks on my laptop with the phone, but Maxthon did it without any problem.
Regards,
Renato

LewisM
30-06-2015, 08:38 AM
All this reminiscing - I went and downloaded it for Windows :)

I LOVE the fact Maxthon comes pre-installed with AdBlock Plus! Brilliant, smart move.

doppler
30-06-2015, 08:52 AM
I used to have a lot of problems with both xp and ie8 until I stopped installing all upgrades. My system has been stable for years until recently. I have noticed a lot of compatability issues with IE8 and websites lately, pages not loading, freezing and ie having to shut down. It's like the software/web developers are forcing you to upgrade.
I've installed the "classic" version of Maxthon and will give that a try, (not sure about the cloud version, leaving my data on other peoples computer systems is something I'll avoid for now).
Thanks for the info.

BeanerSA
30-06-2015, 10:57 AM
TIL people use XP!

iborg
30-06-2015, 11:55 AM
Still use XP!

I still have a machine running DR DOS, another with Win 98.

Most machines in the company run XP.

BeanerSA
30-06-2015, 12:08 PM
You must work for a bank!

iborg
30-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Nah, don't get paid enough pay for a bank, and I think banks don't pay well.

Other than poorly performing executives, of course.

Renato1
30-06-2015, 03:07 PM
The family computer runs Windows 7, but my main desktop runs XP, though I don't surf on it. The problem is that XP was great, and still is as far as I'm concerned. I have only ever used a minuscule number of features for editing photos in say Photoshop Elements 6, or Photoshop CS1, or Lightroom, or in DVD authoring programs and video editing programs. For that matter, I've only ever used a minuscule number of features in Word and Excel.

So what is the point of upgrading to the bigger and better programs, and the bigger operating systems, when at the end of the day, I'll most likely just use the same small feature sets in those programs?

I do think it is very annoying though, how Microsoft stopped updating Internet Explorer for XP. Thus, everyone else's latest browsers still operate on XP except for Microsoft's.

The other issue I was getting with my other browsers was that Shockwave was busy, and slowing everything down. How come Shockwave doesn't stuff up Maxthon too?
Regards,
Renato

Renato1
03-07-2015, 01:26 AM
Well, it turns out that I can't abandon Firefox completely on XP. While Maxthon browser is heaps better at numerous sites, I finally found one site where it wouldn't work properly - namely the American Express Connect site where one gets lots of handy cashbacks and other offers.
https://network.americanexpress.com/connect/au/en/default.html

At this site, it just doesn't display what it is supposed to display.
Regards,
Renato