PDA

View Full Version here: : The Boat Is gone.

xelasnave
14-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Due to finally facing reality I realised I would never finish my boat restoration..
It could have taken 50 k and 5 more years
So I gave it away.
My legs tell me not to replace it but I think I will get a glass boat with everything working.
Something like this.

astroron
14-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Reality gets more noticeable as we get older Alex.
Cheers:thumbsup:

xelasnave
14-06-2015, 12:39 PM
The irony Ron is I had not been on it for a year because my legs are still not so good..but during the delivery I found I could get around the boat very well as I was on all fours.
Everyone thinks I am mad and I must say they are no doubt correct...but I need a boat it's part of who I am...
I may only have one summer left so I am not wasting time I am looking got a couple lines up...and boats are very cheap st the moment.

astroboof
14-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Oh well, there is always tomorrow and another boat.

Is that an Endo26? or an H28? My memory for glass yacht types has faded.

My dream was always a Roberts in steel, about 32 feet, sloop/cutter rig, maybe even no runners, an easy single hander. But life sure does get in the way. I've resolved myself to aim for a 6 meter TS these days.

All the best :)

glend
14-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Mate I have built seven wooden boats in my 65 years and it's always sad to let one go. The last one I built was nearly the end of me, a 6.5 metre powercat designed by Tasmanian Murray Isles. I never got back my investment in any of them, despite great worksmanship and timber features not found on the fibreglass popouts. I have kept only one, a sea kayak that my son used in his Gold Duke of Edinbourgh trip.

You know the old saying: The best two days in your boating life are the day you buy (or complete) your boat, and the day you sell it.

In my case I found out late in life that I much preferred the building and craftmanship over the actual use of the boat. And I am reminded of another old boatbuilders saying; the best boatbuilding tool is a good chair - so you can sit and look at it and work out how to solve a problem in the build.
I have a bookcase full of boatbuilding books and I try to avoid looking at it these days, but I can't let them go.

xelasnave
14-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Steve that is a Top Hat. 25 ft long keel inboard motor.
I like it because it has a long keel and is small.
Next in line would be a compass 28 or 29
My fav is a Westsail 28 there's one for $38k but I would have to sell something to get that much cash...or a westsail 32 ..at $70 k.
If i could get back to living permanetly on board I would get one.
Better than 2 mill for a waterftont.l

xelasnave
14-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Glen you can appreciate my situation.
I was ready to hard stand it up home.I enjoy the woodwork but I just want to turn the key and go.
I know the Hawksberry well, where the fish and crabs oysters etc and this summer want to enjoy the river.

xelasnave
14-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Here is the old girl.

glend
14-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Is that a double ender? Hard to tell from that photo

xelasnave
14-06-2015, 01:52 PM
No but I thought similar when I looked at it...I don't have another.

hotspur
14-06-2015, 02:04 PM
ah that's a shame looks a nice old boat,wooden?

But unfortunately the word 'boat' means Bring-Out-Another-Thousand.
Your better of without it,they are worse than a mistress as far as expense goes.

xelasnave
14-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Yes wood
But it was never safe to sail as.everything was old .
I have sailed it and it was perfect.

ZeroID
14-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Boats have character and soul.
I've been through a few but given it all away. Don't have the spare cash to buy or run one, don't have the time anymore.
I enjoy an infrequent trip on a mates for a few fish now and then. At one time I was spending most weekends on Water Safety Patrol out on the harbour. 24" Exocet hull with 250 hp on the back for 43 knots top speed. Search and Rescue, but mainly towing idiots with broken boats home and telling off jetskiers who scared people too much. Although we saved a heart attack and pulled a body out once. Always something happening out on the water ...

xelasnave
14-06-2015, 06:50 PM
I can't admit to the money I have spent ...put it this way a 16 inch astro graph in a dome has nothing on a wood boat.
I saved 4k by giving it away..
Still the next one will be better...