PDA

View Full Version here: : Bino collimation

rodsmith
10-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Hi, Could anyone give me the contact details of the person I've seen mentioned here that cleans and collimates binoviewers.

Alternately could anyone tell me how it's done.

I bought the Denk binos and only used them on the moon, when I looked at Saturn a few nights ago there were two of them.

Cheers, Rod :thumbsup:

dannat
10-06-2015, 10:49 AM
im not sure of Roger does binoviewers or not rogersoptics (http://www.rogersopticsrestoration.com.au/)

which denks are they? if they are the newer ones id be inclined to send them back to the US

rodsmith
10-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Thanks Daniel, that's the bloke I was thinking of, my Denks are about 3yrs old and have 3 grub screws, tiny ones, around the base of the e/p
holders. The r/h side is the one that's out of wack but when you loosen the grub screws the holder is still firm as if there is some kind of glue holding it ??

Rod :shrug:

Tinderboxsky
10-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Hi Rod,
How have you been able to confirm the miss collimation? The reason I ask is that a surprising number of people are unable to merge the two point source images, for example Saturn in binoviewers.
I am one. I have a slight muscular misalignment of my eyes which is not noticeable day to day. However it means that I cannot merge the two images of say Saturn or Jupiter. Same applies to single bright stars and any other singular bright point sources of light. As an example I cannot chase double stars with the binos.
The Moon is a completely different story. My brain has no trouble merging the two images to give that immersive 3D effect. I do all my Moon observing with binos. I also do most of my observing of nebula, star clusters, globulars and broadly populated star fields with binos - it is a more relaxed immersive view.

So, it might be worth eliminating this possibility before committing $s to to have them serviced unless you know precisely that they are out of collimation. To do this, my only suggestions are to try another binoviewer if you access to one or a binocular (the low mag may not show up the problem - it does for me. I cannot even merge Saturn in 7x50 binoculars) that you know is in collimation. Or perhaps get a number of friends to look through your binos and see what their experience is.
Good luck.
Steve

dannat
10-06-2015, 02:53 PM
ah i see they are not self centering

rodsmith
13-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Daniel, contacted Roger and he does collimate binos :thumbsup:

Steve, I did think that it may be my eyes but others have looked
through them and agreed that they were out of collimation.

Thanks, Rod