PDA

View Full Version here: : Data Usage

GTB_an_Owl
07-06-2015, 01:48 PM
for the last two months, and now a third, i have gone over my allowed data (8gb) on my wireless broadband connection with Telstra.
yes, i have checked my two computers for virus and spyware - no problems found.

anyone else experiencing this?

geoff

Larryp
07-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Is anyone using WiFi on a smart phone, Geoff?

Renato1
07-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Make sure that data roaming is turned off on your phone or tablet, and that automatic updates are turned off as well. Only do the updates using home wifi or someone else's wifi.

Also. make sure that when you go onto Facebook or some newspapers that it doesn't automatically start downloading videos that people have shared or that the newspaper has as a header to the main story. Video obviously chews up the most data.
Regards,
Renato

GTB_an_Owl
07-06-2015, 02:26 PM
no Laurie - we have purposely turned wi-fi off on our phones

geoff

Sundog
07-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Just to clarify, you are talking about a wifi modem connected wirelessly to broadband.

Does your connection widget, on the pc, show all devices that are connected to the modem? Maybe someone is hacking in. But you then need to be looking at connections when an intruder happens to be online. So you can try NOT using Internet for a day (2 days in a row is better) but have the modem on. Then check your daily data usage - obviously it should be zero. You may need to do this a few times.

jenchris
07-06-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm in uk at the moment for oz winter.
Over here data for phone is unlimited and hotspot active too.
Costs 34 dollars a month.
I wonder why it costs so much in oz;?

GTB_an_Owl
07-06-2015, 06:31 PM
yes Paul - a Sierra wireless 4g modem on an 8gb wireless broadbad monthly plan with Telstra.
you can log into the modem and see data usage and users connected.

i have ruled out someone hacking in and turned off all but the wife's and mine computers
wife's is win7 and mine is linux mint
our use is confined to mail, facebook, ebay and iceinspace

geoff

BilliGoatsGruff
07-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Facebook is the worst for chewing up data if you don't turn auto play off. I know so many people who had problems with their data usage when Facebook changed their settings.

RB
07-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if it's not all those spruiking posts you make for your freezer suits.

:cold: :poke: :lol:

brian nordstrom
09-06-2015, 10:17 PM
:mad2: Me to , over the last few months I have lost probably the last 2-3 gig of data towards the end of my months cycle , I have been in personally to see about this and the clones in the store are next to useless , sorry to say , I have almost had enough !!! .
Thanks for letting me know I am not alone on this .
Brian .

ps. I have used 4,5 gig if 8 with 13 days to go as I type this , and I am on the new 4G WiFi crap , never had a problem on the old 3G wireless I used for 6 years before this .:shrug: .
Where is the data going ??? MY MONEY $$$$$

simmo
09-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Perhaps something to consider is the list of tag alongs that you get every time a Web page is opened.

I recently got a block it app for my new phone and I am really surprised by the amount of trackers, ad companies and such that are logging in each time you open a page. Not only that but certain pages Facebook, eBay, twitter etc log in as well.

I'm not an expert so hopefully someone else can chime in and let us know if these tag alongs ad to data usage.

noeyedeer
09-06-2015, 11:31 PM
because there's only really one player in the market here with reasonable coverage, and that's telstra. for other companies to really compete on an Australia wide level like telstra has achieved would be a massive outlay in infrastructure, for probably minimal profit. look at Vodafone and optarse.

places like Europe and America has alot of phone companies probably with their own international nodes where we are a lonely island and I'm sure telstra owns all the nodes for connecting outside oz. I could be wrong but back in the day all Trace routes from outside oz used a telstra node.

matt

noeyedeer
09-06-2015, 11:40 PM
set your browser to load cached pages, or load without images. I've noticed just browsing alot of junk websites have in the way of pictures and fancy logos and things are rather large files ... but since we're all not using 33.6 modems no more no one compresses their images no more than they have to.

most phone images are between 4-8mb and if that's on a facebook page (don't use facebook so I don't know what restrictions they have with sizes etc) but it can add up, especially if that page if full of images ...

the other thing you could do is use your firewall and block all traffic, and only allow the pages/IP/URLs you want to connect to .. that's what I would to as well as using cached pages with your browser if it supports that, and have it to load a new page if there are changes

matt

noeyedeer
10-06-2015, 01:07 AM
I just did a speed test on the 4g on my phone and had 8.4MB/s down and 3.2MB/s up. if you're on a site that can provide those speeds its easy to lose 8gig in hours. if you compare speeds of 3g and 4g and 4gx it's easy to go over the limit ....
matt

edit: and the faster things are the more you look at things .... and open other things etc etc

re-edit: I know when I had no landmine connection I watched my data usage like a hawk on my 4g phone .. but still went over because the usage was 24hrs old when I clicked on my telstra app on my phone. now I use my phones data counter and that's more accurate. get data counters on your computers so it's real time instead of delayed.

I

Terry B
10-06-2015, 09:50 AM
I haven't had a problem. I use telstra and have a 1 gig limit. I check email, look at facebook and some internet like this forum. I have the auto video thing turned off and never look at any videos in the phone. I also don't use snapchat etc.
I seem to use about 88meg/month and this has been constant for years.