PDA

View Full Version here: : Astronomy shops in London and New York

bugeater
02-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Does anyone know if there are any good astronomy shops in London or New York? I've got to do a round the world trip for work and I'll be in each of these cities on a weekend. B&H rates a visit of general photography, but I'm not sure what their astronomy range (or pricing) is like.

Would something like narrowband filters be worth picking up overseas?

Camelopardalis
02-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Marty, I've never visited this store specifically but there's the Widescreen centre (https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk) in central London, but from memory pretty much any of the other retailers are way out of the city, no doubt because of the cost of real estate. Telescope House isn't far out (maybe an hour?) but it's not "in London".

B&H usually stock a fair amount of stuff, but I don't recall how much astro gear was on display. I just remember the vast array of photo gear. Adorama is another NYC based retailer. If you have an ongoing relationship with a US-based vendor, they will sometimes ship to you when visiting, but if you just order cold then they usually refuse because of the instances of credit card fraud.

Out of the two, you'd almost certainly get better pricing in the US, just remember that you'll pay sales tax on top of the price you see, whereas in the UK it's included. Depending on what exchange rate you get though, the savings might be marginal unless it's something you just can't get in Australia.

Sundancer
03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
Marty,

If all else fails go to the British Astronomical Assoc HQ in Burlington House, Piccadilly - right in central London. They will know them all! Tel: 020 7734 4145

graham.hobart
04-06-2015, 10:51 AM
When I lived in England I got all my stuff from The Wide screen Centre. I found them to be good retailers and I believe they are Meade dealers.
Have a great trip
Graham

dannat
04-06-2015, 11:46 AM
B&H has a good amount of astro stuff, but they only stock certain retaillers -which brands are you looking at

astroron
04-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Are Fuller and Broadhurst still going in London. :question:
Cheers:thumbsup:

bugeater
04-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys. I'm on the plane tonight. Unfortunately I've gotten a nasty cold so I don't think it's going to be a pleasant flight, but at least I'm not in cattle class

Camelopardalis
05-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Aka Telescope House (.com) and they're about an hour south of London now. I bought loads of gear from them back when I was there, always good to deal with.