PDA

View Full Version here: : Definition of Fine and Clear

LewisM
01-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Had the box on the local station after Miss 1.5 finished watching her morning TV before going for a nap. Local weather forecast said "Fine and clear on the Sunshine Coast".

Which Sunshine Coast are we talking about? One on Mars???? Here we have grey 8/8 cloud with the possibility of rain.

Fine and clear...:cloudy::windy:

Must have either been someone stuck inside all day or simply idiotic reporting (considering the local station is about 4km away, I don't think the weather is much different there :) )

They must have different satellite images than the BOM does too...

rustigsmed
01-06-2015, 02:22 PM
sounds like a forecast reporting from the UK ... not the Sunshine coast!

Ric
01-06-2015, 03:34 PM
sounds like a version of "Fine & Clear" that we were previously unaware of. ;)

julianh72
01-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Fine: No rain or other precipitation (hail, snow, etc). The use of fine is generally avoided in excessively cloudy, windy, foggy or dusty conditions. In particular, note that fine means the absence of rain or other precipitation such as hail or snow--not 'good' or 'pleasant' weather.
Clear: Free from cloud, fog, mist or dust haze.
http://www.bom.gov.au/info/wwords/

I do wonder why the BoM don't require someone to stick their head out the window before issuing any forecast. If what you see with your eyes differs significantly from what the computer models are predicting, just prefix with "Mainly ..."

gregbradley
01-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Media reporting of the weather does often seem to be exaggerated for effect in order to increase ratings.

BOM website I find is extremely accurate with the proviso that the timing for upcoming rain is often stated too early and the rain often arrives a day later than what is stated at least for the Sydney area that is often the case. Perhaps rain coming from the west hits winds coming onshore or around the Great Dividing Range or something that slows it down.

Greg.

multiweb
01-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Definition of Fine & Clear is Sydney tonight :D

Wavytone
01-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Fine = not raining. Doesn't mean there's any blue sky.

Agreed the BOM frankly should get their collective noses out of computers and look out the window more often - or at least check a few webcams.

Another sore point is the north head AWS - since its replacement some years ago it's calibration for wind speed is so far out of whack its ridiculous, though they don't seem to care despite having been told several times. The AWS at Bellambi is the only coastal one that reads correctly - and that's a long way from Sydney.

gregbradley
01-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Yeah but what is that big bright white ball in the sky?

Greg

Octane
01-06-2015, 11:10 PM
It's magnificent in Canberra tonight. The sky is a dark blue from the Moon. It's freezing cold and my gear is collecting narrowband data. I don't care if it's plagued by moonlight. That's what DBE is for. :P

H

OzStarGazer
02-06-2015, 06:45 AM
It is fine and clear here at the moment. Unfortunately though it feels like Alaska... :cold:

N1
02-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Great example of why my TV got the boot a while ago. Hadn't been used in months and just been collecting dust. I just did't know what I would need one for anymore. It ceased to do anything for me that was of any relevance. And it wasn't even broken. :shrug:

LewisM
02-06-2015, 12:16 PM
It's 100% fine and clear here now... perhaps I was watching a report from the future...[cue Twilight Zone or Dr. Who theme music]