PDA

View Full Version here: : Azeq5

AndrewJ
22-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Anyone else in Oz got one yet, comments, feedback??
I just picked one up from BINTEL in Melb and am currently playing with setting it up as an AltAz solar mount, but it looks like clouds for a few more days yet, so its all theory at present.

Andrew

beren
22-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Was thinking of picking up one of these, Andrew if you got time to post some further thoughts or pics it would be great cheers :thumbsup:

rustigsmed
22-05-2015, 01:57 PM
would like to hear a review for sure Andrew :)

AndrewJ
22-05-2015, 02:14 PM
So far so good.
Its very light and rigid for its size.
Seems to dislike any voltage below about 12.1. The power LED starts flashing, and even tho not moving, it pulls around 1 amp.
The supplied handbox holder doesnt work with the pier mount so i will need to make an adapter bracket i think.
PC direct mode works, but not sure if EQMod can see it yet, as it is a new mount type. Also, it is not returning some data re PEC sizes so not sure what happens there yet.
The "native USB" port on the head is really just a means to link to the inbuilt prolific USB2Ser converter, havent figured it out yet as it looks like the mount is hardcoded to connect at 115200, and all my test apps are set to the old default of 9600.
High speed slewing gives a high pitch whine, but no rattles like my EQ6.
The whine is audible, but not loud enough to upset the neighbours.
Fit and finish looks pretty good for the price range.
Dont like the Altitude adjust mechanism very much, and might change that.
For dual scope mode, you can align both scopes in alt, but not sure how easy it will be to remove cone error without using shims or rings.

Thats all so far, still poking

Andrew

AndrewJ
03-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Still havent got out to try it properly, but have been testing it indoors in AltAz mode. One thing i find annoying is how the RA/AZ clutch control ends up in an eclosed space "behind" the Hbx cable, making it more awkward than it needs to be to adjust it.
Also, i HATE the hbx bracket used ( as i do the Meade one ), so made up a new one from aluminium plate.
Anyone with a 3D printer could make a fortune making HBx holders that allow the Hbx to be removed without having to slide it totally out of the bracket.

Andrew