PDA

View Full Version here: : Cadbury YAK

LewisM
21-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Cadbury is doing a new line of trial blocks. Their Golden Toffee one is great, but then I spied they do a VEGEMITE one.

OK, curiosity got the better of me. Vegemite and caramel. Thinking OK, just kinda salty caramel I guess.

NOPE.

Think caramel tainted with soy sauce. It's, shall we say, an acquired taste. I am certain it will remain a trial only.

Must have been created by one of the Masterchef winners.

Dealy
21-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Nope, does not sound appealing. I think I'll give that a miss.

But, some odd souls like Turkish Delight, so it may take off.

Eratosthenes
21-05-2015, 12:24 PM
you need to watch Cadbury as a corporation very carefully

They have been reducing the standard weight of many of their chocolate bars. They chocolate bars look identical - even the price tag ;)

I recall the time when they reduced the weight of their standard Chocolate bar from 250g to 200g (20% REDUCTION) and changed the packaging to a thicker cardboard type packaging which made the bar appear similar in size. Very sneaky whilst not reducing the price by 20%.

250g............................... .............................. 200g
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/30wsqtiBrVw/hqdefault.jpg

Hagar
21-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Cadbury are only doing the same as every other supermarket shelf filler. The average Joe or Jane doesn't look that close.
To think they said Ned Kelly was dead!

tlgerdes
21-05-2015, 02:03 PM
There was backlash about that 4 years ago and they increased the size by 10% from 200g to 220g and has stayed there since. They also moved away from cardboard packaging about 3 years ago to aluminised plastic.

OzStarGazer
21-05-2015, 02:22 PM
If they have a small one I might try it (out of curiosity, nothing else, because I like both chocolate and Vegemite)... but only if it is under 50 grams in case I want to chuck it out. :)

LewisM
21-05-2015, 02:25 PM
:evil:I will send you my 1/4 eaten one free...

OzStarGazer
21-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Haha :rofl: Is it already available? I thought they had said in June?

Edit: I just had a look at the reviews.... I don't think it will be on the shelves for long based on the reviews. :confuse3:

LewisM
21-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Oh i have 2 bars of horrible yakkiness. I bought it as a gag for the wife to take OS to the relos but after trying it I wont be doing that. 220g of pure Soylent Green metabolite by-product

N1
21-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Here's the drink to go with it

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7e/27/1f/7e271facdd61a52aa1119fb54e9b3c4d.jp g

OzStarGazer
21-05-2015, 04:15 PM
I am going to keep that drink handy for vampires. :)

Chif
21-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Perhaps the odd souls are the ones that don't like Turkish Delight? :rofl::rofl:

LewisM
21-05-2015, 05:04 PM
TD rocks!

(though I do prefer the Fry's bars more - don't taste as sweet as the Cadbury altered version (though they do use Fry's, it seems different)

Eratosthenes
21-05-2015, 05:13 PM
...I am accustomed to having my FULL BAR - no short cuts and tricks

It's just not cricket

Ric
22-05-2015, 11:36 AM
I don't do anything with Vegemite. (insert BLAH smiley here) :lol:

The Australian custom I have never got used to. :scared3:

pgc hunter
22-05-2015, 11:46 AM
I think Cadbury are going back to 200g once again. So soon after beating their chest with their "20% more joy" con trick. Not only that, but this time their price has actually increased. Smiths chips and Doritos have recently gone from 175 to 165g. Red Rock Deli have gotten smaller in the last few months aswell. :mad2:

LewisM
22-05-2015, 11:53 AM
I've gotten to the point where I refuse to buy chips unless they are in the "Reduced for quick sale" shelf at IGA or Woolworths and I won't pay more than $2 for it.

As for chocolate, if Woolworths hadn't reduced the Vegemite crap to half price to offload the rubbish, I wouldn't have even contemplated it. Still, $250 for it was difficult to swallow, much like the product.

In an odd note, my wife LOVES the stuff, so not wasted after all. Go figure.

LewisM
22-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Born and bred "first fleeter" here (mother's side where flogging my father's side) - I prefer Promite ANY day of the week :)

pgc hunter
22-05-2015, 01:19 PM
Yep I only ever buy chips when they're on special. Luckily they come on special quite often. I just noticed Coles has introduced their own brand of Deli style chips. $2.50 for 200g. I got the chilli one, it's actually pretty good. Over $4 for a 165g bag of RRD is bordering on absurd.

brian nordstrom
22-05-2015, 09:23 PM
:mad2: Heard today on the radio they are laying off 200 + workers because their profits aint up to what they wanted !!!!
Lowlifes . :nerd:

Brian.

pgc hunter
23-05-2015, 12:10 AM
Checked the prices of Cadbury bars at the BigW I work at. $4.60 for 200g. Last year it was $3.95 for 220g. Sticker shock right there.

Might explain their profit loss. Consumers are letting them know what they think. They keep doing this crap they deserve to go out of business.

brian nordstrom
23-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Here, here. :thumbsup: .
But it is not just Cadbury doing this. , almost every manufacturer is pulling this stunt. , Australia is getting harder and harder to live in , how much more we can take is the question :shrug: .

Go the. 'Spudshed' , we have here in Perth. , sensible prices on all items , we do all our shopping there now. , bugger Coles and Wollies as well :mad2:.

Brian.

OzStarGazer
23-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Not to mention ClickFrenzy....
If you check some of their specials and then normal prices on eBay for example you will be astonished how they all try to rip us off! Or maybe not so astonished after all... Some sellers must think buyers are complete idiots, and some probably are. They see 40 or 50% off and they rush to buy without checking other sellers...

Eratosthenes
23-05-2015, 12:33 PM
I believe that food processing by products in the USA are still classed as waste streams and cannot be used for human consumption.

Vegemite is manufactured from the yeast extract produced as a waste stream by the beer fermentation industry. Vegemite was banned for sale in the USA for a long time, and this ban may well be still in place.

I have some experience with the Vegemite process in Oz and included in the process is a caramelisation step which effectively gives Vegemite it's dark color. Yeast extract is a kind of "poo" color and was thought to be a poor choice of hue to market (strange, because one can argue that chocolate is also excrement color, but is laden with sugar and caffeine and flavor, so we may as consumers let that go to the keeper)

Ironically in the USA, the way the FDA laws are structured, if a beer manufacturer said they were fermenting their barley malt, to produce yeast extract at the bottom of their vats and that was their product goal, then the alcoholic beer in the vats would be a waste by product and banned for sale to humans for consumption ;)

pgc hunter
24-05-2015, 11:05 AM
I know right! Every time you go to supermarket, the price of something has gone up. Working at Big W I see this first hand and some of it really is jarring. Meanwhile, Woolies keeps taking the piss with those 2 corny birds and stupid jingle and Coles with the big red finger. Example: Grilled whole chicken at Colesworths costs $11. At one local butcher, it is $8. Another example: popcorn at BigW used to sell at $2.48 last year. Now you can find them on special 2 for $5. :rolleyes: The exponential price increases are also quite breathtaking on my visits to Dan Murphys. Some of this stuff goes up by $2-3 overnight at random times of the year for no apparent reason. :mad2:

You often hear discussion about things like soft drink tax, fast food tax etc. What is happening now is equivalent to taxes slapped on items multiple times a year that's how ridiculous these relentless random price increases are.

LewisM
24-05-2015, 12:21 PM
I find Woolworthless nauseating in every sense of the word, from the obnoxious slogan music, to the soulless staff and a-hole managers strumping around like roosters in suits. Their shop layout is poor.

Coles is a far more pleasant experience I always find - good layout usually, staff usually friendly enough (and LOTS on the floor on average), 90% of the time cheaper than Woolworthless.

IGA in QLD have shocking prices, so I tend to avoid them. IGA in WA was nearly ALWAYS cheaper than Coles/WW when we lived there for a while, so we shopped there.

Aldi is OK... but I don't like their lack of many products. I can usually get one particular product we like at Aldi for $2.99, vs WW's $7.99 for the EXACT same product made in the SAME factory (fact - I know one of the product's company execs - comes from working as a chef for 10 years - and they confirmed they make it for WW, Coles AND Aldi)