PDA

View Full Version here: : Sensing How Much the Earth Moved in Nepal

multiweb
20-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Article here (http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=85871&src=eoa-iotd). Pretty crazy that the uplift was 1.4m in some places.

gregbradley
20-05-2015, 05:02 PM
In a way to be expected as the World's tallest mountain must have considerable upthrust forces at play.

Over time is Everest getting taller or shorter I wonder?

Greg.

raymo
20-05-2015, 08:25 PM
The Himalayas are getting higher as the tectonic plate to the south of
them moves north and pushes them up against the slower moving plate to the north of them.
raymo

leon
20-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Interesting indeed Marc.

Leon

alocky
20-05-2015, 09:15 PM
However, the forces of erosion are busy cutting them down again almost as fast as they are being raised.
In the middle of our continent are the Petermann ranges, which are the eroded remnants of a mountain chain that onve made the Himalayas look like speed bumps. Amazing thing, this planet of ours.
There's plenty of plate tectonic evolution models on the web, and watching the reconstructions from the Cretaceous onward of the rate at which india separated from australia, then rocketed northward to impact the asian plate makes me suspect that sledging is not a new phenomenon in this part of the world :)
cheers,
Andrew.

raymo
20-05-2015, 10:16 PM
The whole universe is interesting Leon; for instance, I rush out to get a
look at the Moon whenever I can, before it leaves us, after all it is
approximately 2.89375 metres further from us than it was when I was born.:lol::lol::lol:
raymo

leon
21-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Oh Dear, some mothers do have em, Raymo, :P;);)

Leon :thumbsup: