PDA

View Full Version here: : That was noisy , but maybe sad...

LewisM
08-05-2015, 11:52 AM
I was in the back yard doing some mount maintainence. I heard the spool up "whine" before they were visible....

3 RAAF Hornets had done a low pass at YBMC, which was NICE, LOUD, and lower than usual.

Then I heard the same again and 3 more appeared, though in a Missing Man formation.

Anyone know if the RAAF lost a flight crew member, or someone high up in the RAAF this week?

It always saddens me to see the Missing Man formation.

Hans Tucker
08-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Missing man formation is usually done with four aircraft in formation, it was probably coincidental that you viewed the aircraft in this formation. They may be practicing for a ceremonial/funeral event. The ADF hasn't lost any aircraft or aircrew recently.

One thought.

May 7th was the 70th anniversary of the victory in Europe (VE Day).

On May 7, 1945, Germany signed an unconditional surrender bringing an end to the war in Europe. The surrender came into effect at midnight on May 8, 1945 and the day became known as Victory in Europe (VE) Day.

noeyedeer
09-05-2015, 06:46 PM
I saw on channel 7 news that (I think they said yesterday) was the 75th anniversary of the battle of the coral sea, which would be a little closer to home. .... but I missed the place where it was held.

maybe google 7news and see where it was held if its near you it was probably for it :/

matt

edit : oops 73rd anniversary after a google but didn't find the location ... my hearing isn't switched on tonight obviously