PDA

View Full Version here: : How about the weather in Melrose next week?

LT_Ng
07-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Hello All,

My name is William (LT as a short name here) and I am from Hong Kong.

I frequently spend my long holiday for sightseeing and astronomy in either July or August almost every year with my family and friend. Next week on Tue, I will leave Hong Kong for SA to start my trip. This time I will focus on astrophotography with my friend and thus stay at Melrose Holiday Units for 4 nights. Just wonder if there is any fellow amateur living in Melrose and nearby. If yes, can I have a chance to visit you?

From the weather history, SA should have good weather for astronomy in May. But, due to the bad weather happened in Sydney and NZ, I am now quite worry about the weather this year is a bit abnormal. Is there any fellow members living in SA or even in Melrose, Wilmington or Port Augusta can tell me of the weather this week and the forecast of next week? On Weatherzone, it predicts mostly sunny next week. Does it mean it will be cloudless at night too?

Thank you very much for your input in advance.

Regards,

LT

doppler
07-05-2015, 10:29 PM
I am in Queensland, but here is a link to the weather bureau forcast page for South Australia.
http://www.bom.gov.au/sa/forecasts/map.shtml?ref=hdr

Rick

michaellxv
07-05-2015, 11:32 PM
Hi LT,

Melrose is a very nice spot for a holiday but one thing to watch out for with the forecast is that there is no specific one for Melrose itself.

Melrose is at the base of the range on the eastern side. Pt Pirie and Pt Augusta are on the coast of the gulf on the western side of the range so you can't always rely on them to give a good forecast for Melrose.

You could look at Jamestown or Yongala but again they will not be the same as Melrose.

If you find next week it is cloudy around Melrose I suggest heading NorthEast to look for better conditions. Towards Wilmington (still at the base of the range) or Orroroo heading inland and further if you feel like a longer drive.

Good luck.

Michael.

LT_Ng
08-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Thanks Rick.

I will keep my eyes on the forcast day by day.

LT

LT_Ng
08-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Thanks Michael for your suggestion.

In fact, we make a plan B too. In case we had cloud in Melrose, we would have a long drive to the north to Woomera or Roxby Downs before duck. Do you think that would be a good move?

LT

BeanerSA
08-05-2015, 06:36 AM
You get to Woomera in about 2.5hrs. Roxby is another hour further on. Have you been here before? You know there's nothing really out there, except for dark skies?

Paul Haese
08-05-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi William,

the forecast for the state next week is looking better than this week. The winter weather patterns are here at present but it is rare that each pattern lasts very long. Having a northern plan B is a good idea to get away from the off shore cloud which often occurs at this time of year.

I will respond to your PM shortly. Good luck with the weather.

dannat
08-05-2015, 09:58 AM
if going to melrose be sure & either bring your mountain bike or rent one from the local bike shop, some good trails whcih benfit from a bit of moisture on them

michaellxv
08-05-2015, 11:48 AM
As Paul says, plenty of dark sky once you get that far north as long as it's clear. Make sure you take plenty of supplies. If you are prepared to drive that far you should be able to find a direction that will be clear.

Michael.

LT_Ng
08-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Hi Paul,

I have never been to Roxby before. Last year I just drove by Woomera with my trip to the Red Center. So, I think I know there is nothing really out there and that is why it would be our plan B in case bad weather in Melrose.

Thank you for your input.

LT

LT_Ng
08-05-2015, 12:56 PM
That is really a good idea of renting a bike. Is there any bike rental shop in the town of Melrose?

Thanks.

LT

LT_Ng
08-05-2015, 01:05 PM
Thanks Michael again.

Just wish I didn't need to drive so far to the north. I also think of Hawker which is about 1 hour drive from Melrose. On May 14, I will go there to take a site visit to see if this place can be a substitution to our Plan B.

LT

LT_Ng
08-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Thank you Michael for your suggestion. I know the weather forcast for the base of the range on the western side may not be valid to that on the eastern side. So these days I am keeping on watching the weather forcast for more inland places such as Hawker and Orroroo.

LT

LT_Ng
08-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Hi Paul,

Since Melrose motel is booked out on both May 17 and 18, we have to look for accommodation in other places and maybe in Hawker then.

If everything on schedule, we will return from Hawker after checking out at 10:00am to the Adelaide. Then maybe we will arrive in the city at about 4pm.

Please check PM for more detail on my return trip to the city.

Thanks.

LT